Outdoorlife602

13B Questions

I might have to go against the popular trend here. I did it in what many consider the worst year in recent memory. Did it solo, spot and stalk and I know the deer I ended up with would have scored a lot better in any other year. It was still the most challenging and rewarding hunt of my life.

I opted not to take up some really great outfitters' offers, no scouting packages (these are generally bs in my humble opinion). If you can, go up a weekend or two before the hunt, drive all the main roads and get a feel for the unit. It's HUGE and impossible to cover in one hunt. You'll have to figure out what area you feel the best in, that matches your style of hunting and just decide to focus on that area. If you try to cover too much ground you'll just be road hunting, which in the late part of the hunt sometimes proves to be more productive than hiking/glassing.

Shoot me a PM.

We need pics again. I remember huge front forks.

If you have money buy a guide. If you don't, get as many friends together and have fun. I'm poor. So my advise would be to get a bunch of your buddies and family members and take a 2 week vacation in no mans land up there.

• Like 4

On the guide question, depends on what you want. If you would be happy with a 180" buck, do it yourself, take some tips from guys who will offer and what game and fish says about unit and go for it. You should have no problem if you hunt hard the whole hunt.

The odds of getting a really big deer go way up if you hire a guide. A very large majority of the biggest bucks are taken with guides involved(either hired or guides who are friends). Those are the facts. The good guides are the most knowledgeable about the area and bucks, spend the most time, effort, and money on gathering that information. If you would really like a good chance at a giant, $5,000 over your lifetime for a guide is probably worth it. 15 years from now, what are the chances you will regret spending the money on a guide?

You can do this hunt yourself,and don't even think of a scouting package!!!!!!Most of the guides will never tell you where a good buck is in a scouting package,if they say they have killed bucks there in the past they are lying !!!!Most of the deer are on Black rock and Dellenbaugh.Now you can find great bucks anywhere on the strip Snap,Pakoon,Whitmoore,Poverty,Grand Gulch,Mud Mnt,Grassy,Sullivan,Kelly, Tweedie.In the last 20 years I have seen and had buddies kill bucks over 200 in every place I just named.Water right now is not a problem raining everywhere on the strip.If you see all the guides in one spot they have a boomer picked out,but there will always be another one somewhere else.I have a bud that drew a 13a rifle tag this year,and I drew a bab tag,send me a pm and I might have a couple days to show you around?

• Like 5

It boils down to will you be more satisfied looking at a buck on your wall you found and killed or one that was pointed out for you to shoot.

• Like 4

I have hunted both units and killed my 208 DIY in a. I did it solo. No help, cameras,scouting packages etc. scouting packages are a joke, they aren't going to give up any of their better bucks unless you pay a lot more or just hire them. If you can't afford it then get a team, go up the Friday before your hunt and work your butt off! Scout all day and run a light all night. Incurs nailed all the best spots. Road hunting is very effective, though not my style. If outfitters were honest they would tell you that a high percentage of bucks get killed or at least seen from the road. If I or one of my buddies had the tag again I wouldn't leave dellenbaugh, grassy, poverty and whitmoore. You can get overwhelmed if you try to cover the whole unit but the southern end is a consistent producer of giants. Some but not all, of the guides up there think they own the place, don't change what you are doing and hunt your hunt, if they say they will tell you where a good one is if you leave where you are at understand they are lying. I know quite a few of them and a bunch of them are full of.........bunch of drama queens... . Good luck and have a great hunt it is truly an amazing place and an amazing hunt that no matter the outcome one you will never forget!

Oh ya, lots and lots of extra fuel and spare tires

• Like 4

208Muley:

Kinda brutal on your assessment of ALL guides on the Arizona Strip!

Drama Queens?? Full of... Hmm..

You obviously have me confused with someone else! LOL

Don Martin

Striper Hunters

Quit teasing us all and go up there and shoot a big buck. if you didn't have a clue then why put in, oh wait I got drawn for the bab and didn't no crap, and came home with a 223" 7x8. you can do it!!!

• Like 2

Kind of sounds like a CWT vs the AZ all star guides match up is brewing . . .

• Like 2

I had drawn archery tag a few years back, got tag way before I was ready to hunt, or able to afford a guide. Just go get a loan & do it right or you'll regret it like I do!

The whole guide vs no guide debate is interesting. Sure, strip tags are few and far between and they give a real chance at killing an absolute monster. I would love a 220"+ buck on my wall as much as the next guy but I'd rather kill a 180 buck myself than a 220 guided.

Take the $5k you'd spend on a guide and upgrade your optics (Swaro BTX!) and use them to kill multiple big animals.

Hunt hard, enjoy the experience, don't put too much pressure on yourself, and be proud of what you bring home.

• Like 6

Don, where did I say ALL guides??? I said some but not all.... Fake news like CNN... But if you wanna start drama go ahead but I won't defend something I didn't say...

Outdoor life send me a pm if you want more details on hunting up there.

• Like 1