Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Ditching TV?

I have been kicking around the idea of ditching satellite TV. I am moving soon I think and would just make the switch then. I have DirectTV right now, and it is fine, but I hate the bill.

I already have netflix, but my main concerns are football and kids shows. I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old so having decent programming for them is nice. The only shows I care to watch are Shameless and Walking Dead.

Thoughts?

Is having a firestick or roku enough?

My tv is hooked up to our wireless network through the wifi blue ray player. All we watch is Netflix and YouTube. You can also surf the web thru it and watch other media, but the browser is a real pain so we don't do that. It also has the option for Hulu, amazon prime and a couple other streaming services, but in the past the content has not varied enough from Netflix to justify the extra subscription fee.

I'll personally never pay another satellite or cable bill again. Haven't for about 4 or 5 years now and don't miss it at all, but I'm not real into sports so missing that stuff doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

I've been tv and internet free at home for a few years now. Internet on my phone and an antenna gets 10 English speaking channels some are kids channels. I'd love internet access when it's available but it's not bad going without.

I might die without internet and cable tv.....

• Like 1

Jail broke Amazon fire stick. If you have decent internet speed you can get everything, including sports.

• Like 1

I have no choice about internet, the wife sells Lularoe clothing online so we have to have that, and I work from home on occasion.

TV maybe not.

I ditched direct tv 6-7 years ago and never will go back. We use a roku and netflix. We pay 25-35 a month for 20 megs internet speed and 10 a month for netflix. For kids shows you will have no problem there are lots of choices. Sports depends on what sport you watch.

If I did it again I would look at the apple tv. The roku has some software issues but it has been pretty dependable.

Be careful with the jailbroke firestick, some if that stuff is illegal and they have been cracking down on it.

We ditched Direct TV about 2 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. I use Netflix, HULU, and a digital antennae for football on Sunday. Netflix has great kid show stuff.

I've got rveal. Initial cost is expensive at $250 but it's free after that. Can watch just about anything you want.

I did the same thing a few years ago. We put an antenna on the roof and got 90 free channels. Not all the channels are really worth watching, but you get football on Sunday's. We also subscribed to sling tv for $20 a month for Monday/Thursday night football and AMC so we could watch the walking dead as well. Between the antenna, sling, Netflix, and amazon prime we don't even miss cable. It saved us almost $100 a month.

• Like 3

Subscribing to and using a VPN will get you around any Kodi crackdown concerns.

Youtube TV for $35 a month will probably get you all the channels/shows/sports you mentioned. I think they will let you try it for a month for free.