Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Advice on rifle for son 13yr

I just took out my new (to me) .280 Rem. Shot some Barnes 140gr TTSX. Pretty dang accurate. I like the 7mm-08 as well.

6.5 creedmoor

6.5x55

270 win

Don't do a big belted mag for a 13 year old.

My grandpa has killed many many elk in his life with a .270!!! More knock down than most 6.5 for the standard shots. Also I was shooting .270s and 30-06 when I was 11, so your 13 year will be just fine. Lots of rounds and rifles to pick from. Probably the most economical rifle you can get. That being said if I could do it all over again the .280 would be the choice. Lot better ballistics then the .270 and more reloading options. But to buy a gun and not worry about large recoil, plenty of ammo, enough knock down power, no need for reloading, is the .270

• Like 1

I'd opt for the 270. There are plenty of factory loads to choose from, and plenty of rifles to choose from. You can handload some reduced loads to give him plenty of trigger time on his rifle. Recoil will be less than the 7RemMag.

That said, my first rifle was a Rem 700 BDL in .280 (actually called 7mm Remington Express back then). It would be a great cartridge choice. MIdway shows 17 different types of factory ammo available, so there should be one for him. Pretty much a 270, but cooler ;-)

I am an oddball and have already figured out and acquired what I plan to be the first rifles for my two boys (5 and 2). 1 is a 6.5x55 sporterized mauser, and the other is a Ruger M77 in 7x57 mauser.

I like the old school rounds, and things that are different than the norm.

• Like 1

Those mentioned are all in the same ball park, Differences in terminal ballistics will be determined more by your choice of bullet as opposed to which cartridge you choose. There are more bullet weight and versatility with 7mm bullets, but 270 ammo can be found anywhere for the non-reloader.

Seems like a 7-08 would be a no brainer. Lots of great bullet choices and a little tamer than the .270. But .270, when we are being rational not rifle looney, is about perfect for everything.

• Like 2

I never read much on the 280 until now. That's a pretty impressive caliber. Lots of range in bullet weight. I'm leaning toward the 6.5 creedmoor because of the inherent accuracy and light recoil. It is pretty similar to his brothers 7mm-08. Found an X bolt new on gunbroker for a really good price. Starring at every hour trying to decide

I have a NIB weatherby 6.5 creedmore I will make you a great deal on. Dave 602/228-1719

I also have NIB Remington model 700's in 308 / 7mm Rem mag and a 300 win mag I can make you a good deal on any of them

• Like 1

I know I am bucking the current trend, but if your going 6.5 in a bolt action then 260 Rem or 6.5x284 seem to make more since.

There are some screaming deals on Xbolts and Abolts right now.

My wife and our two oldest kids got the 7mm-08. Never regretted it and I can feed them all the same hand loads.