Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Easier setup/ wall tent or Alaknak?

I have a 14-17 Montana Canvas wall tent with an aluminum internal frame that I'm thinking of selling for something easier to set up. Most of the time I'm setting up solo. Are the Alaknak's easier for one person to set up? Thanks.

Never owned a wall tent but I have owned an Alaknak. I didn't think it was that difficult to set up. It's been said before but a Kodiak Canvas is a quality tent that is a one man set up. They don't have a stove jack but there are ways around that with a Little Buddy type heater.

This may help you decide. The one below is about the same space as your present tent. For myself I like a tent so we can camp deeper into an area, places a trailer cant go. I also wont use a propane heater a close friend lost three friends about 8 years ago in 6A during a late elk hunt, cold, tired they fell asleep with the heater running and never woke up.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/video_popup.jsp?new=true&productId=716042&scene7Id=ALAKNAK_SETUP

http://www.cabelas.com/content_popup.jsp?pageName=youtubevideo&v=_yQaj-mVj3Y&set=519278

I love my 14x16 canvas tent but . I would guess the alaknak is easyer. I've been think about getting something smaller and easier for winter trips when it's just one or 2 people.

I have a 9.5x9.5 alaknak I can set up in 15 minute by myself. I have a 10x12 Montana canvas wall tent with floor and internal frame and I can barely move it by myself let alone set it up.

• Like 1

10x14 kodiak canvas tent is by far the easiest tent you will ever set up. No comparison

+1 Never owned a Kodiak, but a couple of buddies have them and they seem to go up pretty easily!

That being said, I have a 12X12 Alaknak, and I find it quite easy to put up. I have done it solo several times. Is a bit time consuming due to all of the stakes/ropes/poles, but it is easy. Generally takes me 20 minutes.

S.

• Like 1

I have a 9.5x9.5 alaknak I can set up in 15 minute by myself. I have a 10x12 Montana canvas wall tent with floor and internal frame and I can barely move it by myself let alone set it up.

Without the floor a 10 x 12 isnt bad by yourself. I bet that floor makes it real heavy.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the information. I think I'll sell the wall tent, keep the stove and buy an alaknak.

I bought a 12x12 Alaknak with vestibule that I am doing a test run with next week, I will be using it in Montana in November, but I want to test run it, now, so I am not confused when temps may be below zero.

my boss who I bought my alaknak from had pre made guy lines out of climbing rope for all uprights. Saves a bunch of time.

I have set up my 12x12 alaknak by myself several times. Takes 20 to 30 minutes. The time consuming part is driving all the stakes...good workout though. It's worth it for multiple days. The wood stove is nice to have, but I don't use it much. You'll need the roof protector if you use the stove. I also have the vestibule, which adds a lot of room. I also have a kodiak for 1 or 2 days...much easier to set up. They are both great, quality tents.

I just picked up a 14x20 Davis and am a first time owner, set it up first time solo with steel internal frame in 40 minutes. With the size I would stay with the wall tent for long trips. If trips are shorter I just take a tarp and cots and an ez up.