Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyhcp

Ground blind vs natural blind

Just like the topic says what do u guys prefer a ground blind or build a natural blind when sitting a wallow or water hole while on the early archery elk hunt? I have the 27 hunt in 2 weeks and wondering what one is best

If you already have a blind and can brush it in I would use that method as well.

I have a blind was gonna take it this weekend and brush it in is a week to early? I do 2 weeks early on my deer hunts

Could go both ways honestly in my opinion. Its not enough time for them to truly get usto it I wouldn't think. But ya never know. Hopefully tho since you have a wicked Rut tag you wont have to sit the water and can be chasing bulls sun up to sun down. Good luck on your hunt post some pictures.

I have never sat in a blind but I will give my expert opinion anyway.....

Last year was the first time I sat water for elk. We were desperate as it was hot and dry and no bugling whatsoever. I set up my hide by getting back off the water a little ways. I cleared several shooting lanes and planned my position based on the most likely approach. I sat in front of a tree without any blind at all.

I am very good at sitting still. I was lucky and a smallish bull did come in and I took him. I timed my movements to when his eyes were behind trees as he moved. He never saw me.

My buddy sat water for 5 days. Some in blinds and some like I did. He sat the exact same water as I did.

He sucks at hunting and isn't patient. He moved and got busted every time.

Based on that LIMITED experience(and a millennium of predator hunting), I don't think the blind is as important as your patience and ability. That and dumb luck.

My wife has her first archery tag this year(early cow) and as she shoots a crossbow we will mostly be hunting from blinds. I have half a dozen spots picked out. Some have "natural blinds" or hides where we will use the existing geography and flora. We have a couple of natural built blinds. I also have a double bull blind and a half blind that I will set up. Given her very limited experience it will be interesting to see how she does in each of them.

And we will have our 4 year old with us.

Start the circus music......lol

I believe you also have to take the dog to qualify for the circus music.

If you find a wallow that is currently being used (opaque muddy water, not clear), I'd sit it from 10:30 a.m. to maybe 1:30 or so. Have had several bulls come in mid-day.

One other thing --- Thermacell (and/or head net and gloves) to combat the mosquitoes!!! Trust me ...

If you find a wallow that is currently being used (opaque muddy water, not clear), I'd sit it from 10:30 a.m. to maybe 1:30 or so. Have had several bulls come in mid-day ..

I sat a wallow last week in the evening.. Sat around some small trees that provided a little cover about 50 yards out.. Had cows and spikes come in for water.. They were smelling the camera but I sat still and they did not even notice me.. I wont be using a blind but I will be using one of those decoy's that attach to your bow, try and confuse a bull..

Natural blind for me, that's how I killed both of my bulls. I've sat pop up blinds a few times and didn't really care for them. Plus you don't have to worry about your blind being trashed or stolen.

Could go both ways honestly in my opinion. Its not enough time for them to truly get usto it I wouldn't think. But ya never know. Hopefully tho since you have a wicked Rut tag you wont have to sit the water and can be chasing bulls sun up to sun down. Good luck on your hunt post some pictures.

I put up a blind for archery deer- a week before the season and I don't think they got used to it. If you put one up brush it up REALLY good.

The good thing about natural built blinds is you can build two or three around the waterhole/wallow/trail and pick the best one at the time based on wind direction...which is a big deal when sitting on the ground. The risk is, someone may be in it when you show up. The good thing about a pop up blind, it can contain some of your scent, hide movement, but visibility is limited and it may not be there when you show up. Also, with a single pop up, you can't play the wind. If you have the patience, sitting a natural blind can be a great experience...you are more connected to nature/your prey. Tree stands are probably the most effective, but take more preparation and planning. We usually chase bugles all morning and set tree stands/blinds in the evening...gives you a chance to rest up.