Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

First Elk (Vid added)

We were seeing lots of fresh sign but not any elk after starting Friday afternoon. Just after stepping off for yesterday afternoons hunt we had 2 cows trot off into the wind. We gave them time to relax and started still hunting through the thick cedars glassing ahead to find em. 30 mins later we picked up elk legs coming straight at us. We were able to prone out with a couple shooting lanes. She caught my wife frozen in a small clearing and started to take off. With some cow calls I was able to pull her back. Ethan had to shift a few times as she was zig zagging in and out of our lanes but I got her stopped broadside and he smoked her just like we practiced at a whole 45 yards. She was in a bunch of lava rock with a bunch of other elk tracks so we spread out a few yards and he was the first to find blood. He followed a nice blood trail right too her 50 yards away. She's young and small but will eat good.

IMG_9954.jpg

• Like 14

awesome job congrats to you and your son

Well done! Congrats

Lance, he did good and put it right where we practice, halfway up the body in the crease of the shoulder.

Entry (left shoulder)

IMG_9988.jpg

Exit (right shoulder - removed)

IMG_9985.jpg

Right after the shot he told me "I love this gun!" Grandpas gifted 1952 Remington 721 .270 Win shooting factory Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip 130gr we cleaned up and modernized last year for his first deer hunt.