Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

What are the best aftermarket barrel options?

I have a remington 700 338 winmag im wanting to rebarrel (possibly different caliber) and get some action work done. What are some good barrels and people that can do this? I know the trigger is good not sure what the action work consists of and price average.

Bartlein

Rock Creek

Proof Research

Mueller Works

Brux

Kreiger

Lilja

Shilen

AxisWorks, Southern Xpress, and Phoenix Custom Rifles are the gunsmiths that have done all of my rifles.

• Like 3

I have rifles with bartlein, shileen, Douglas xx, and brux. All of which are better than factory and all clean up better. As far as people, do research (Ive been burned bad by local smiths) all the guys lance mentioned are reputable.

• Like 3

Multiple companies sell good barrels. Lance made the same recommendations as I would. I HIGHLY recommend you call Eric Goss(Axisworks) 574-248-0929 for any gun work. If he is to busy I would definitely call Todd (Southern Xpress).

• Like 1

Adding Broughton barrels to the list. All are good but I have owned more Kreigers than any. Always happy with them.

I'll also add Beanland Custom Rifles to smith list. Jon builds an amazing rifle and one of the nicest guys you'll. Call his shop and talk to him.

• Like 1

Buy a cut rifled barrel. You can find one in stock at Southern Precision rifles also known as Bug holes.

Has any used Hawk Hill barrels ?

I only have used Brux , bartlein , soon to be proof research when Eric is done !

I have a hawk hill on my 6.5 saum. One of My favorite barrels. Only complaint there hard to get.

Nobody using Schneider any more?

When I first started shooting Silhouette, there was a guy that was shooting that was doing the drilling for Schneider, Gary would pay him in cast off barrels, just about everybody on the line was shooting a Schneider barrel, not so popular anymore. Don't know about now but back then Tubb was shooting a Schneider barrel, I was told that he ordered them ten at a time, and this was before he was making and marketing his own guns, so he was ordering them for personal use.

Nobody using Schneider any more?

When I first started shooting Silhouette, there was a guy that was shooting that was doing the drilling for Schneider, Gary would pay him in cast off barrels, just about everybody on the line was shooting a Schneider barrel, not so popular anymore. Don't know about now but back then Tubb was shooting a Schneider barrel, I was told that he ordered them ten at a time, and this was before he was making and marketing his own guns, so he was ordering them for personal use.

Ive got 2 Schneider barrels and have been around a bunch. Only heard of one that wouldnt shoot. Seems guys these days are hung up on cut barrels so that is what you will see recommended the most

If I'm not mistaken Schneider still supplies barrels to the USMC sniper program. That's not a crowd that's going to be very tolerant of a barrel that does not shoot well.