Sign in to follow this  
awatson

2018 elk regs

Anyone know when the hunt regs for next year elk/antelope will come out?

Should be out in the next couple weeks & online apps open around 2nd to 3rd week of January.

I would bet regs are out this week. I saw online anyone doing paper apps the deadline is going to be January 30th and online deadline Feb 13th. Just a heads up for the paper app guys. Good news it should speed up the draw process.

• Like 1

How accurate are the success rates for elk hunts that ended last Thursday?

Success rates arent accurate at all for any hunt without mandatory reporting.

Mandatory reporting doesn't mean honest reporting.

• Like 2

Oh man not this again already, I havnt prepped the wife yet!!!! I just got back from the last elk hunt!!!!

Only 59 days until apps are due! :)

Oh man not this again already, I havnt prepped the wife yet!!!! I just got back from the last elk hunt!!!!

Only 59 days until apps are due! :)

Anybody considering not applying if we don't see rain in 58 days? Of course don't forget to apply for the pt..

After seeing how bad it seems like a lot of the late hunts went this year, I am seriously going to have think about what my plan is going to be for the future. I don't have a lot of points, but I know if I want to start banking them for a better hunt and start putting in for earlier hunts.

The stats printed in the Regs regarding hunt success are from 2 seasons prior not the season previous. Draw success is from previous year.

• Like 2

I'll start the reports. Late cow elk hunt in Unit 9 was miserable. Dry & dusty. Checked close to 20 tanks on the northwest side. Only one tank was holding water. There were elk in the area, but only in groups of 1 to 4 - never any bigger. No way to pattern them. Spoke with rancher in the area. It is the worst he has seen in 30 years.

No water down in the southeast side of Unit 9 around Red Butte. Northeast side near the park border faired better with the water, but all the elk holed up in the park and then came across at night to water.

We had the late 4A hunt. As for success rates, the posted success rate was 25%, and we had 4 of us with tags, and filled one tag: 1/4 so for us the success was right on with the posted rate. Tough hunt. Also the driest I've ever seen. 80 to 90% of the water holes were dry. My truck had a thick film of dust inside and out. Full moon, super moon made it really tough, and the elk were only moving at night. With 5 minutes of shooting light left on day 4, Adrian caught a couple bulls sneaking in to water. got a nice young 6x6, unbroken which surprised me for this time of year.