Sign in to follow this  
Speedy

Need advice on Taxidermist, Cold Storage and Meat Donation

I will be leaving this god forsaken frozen tundra (it's -2F right now at 2:00 in the afternoon) in 12 days to hunt south of Tucson for Coues and Javelina for a week, then my wife comes out for a week vacation in Phoenix (Cave Creek). Since I'll be flying that puts a twist in transporting game. I'd like to find a good taxidermist out there who would be willing to ship head mounts (or a skull, not sure what to do with a Javi). I'll also need to find a meat processor or someplace to store frozen meat until I leave (could be almost 2 weeks of time). In the event I fill both tags I likely won't have room for all the meat so is there a place to donate deer meat? I plan to bring back the Javi since it sounds like a challenge to cook ;).

Depending on where and when I'll need these services in Tucson, Phoenix or both. Thanks.

Wellers Taxi. In Tucson.

Yep! They are the best!

They mostly wont have to store it very long it generally takes 1 to 1.5 weeks to get your game processed. I would speak with the butcher and see if they can store the meat until your ready to go home.

Keep the deer and donate the javelina

By the way it sounds I'd have a hard time giving javi away! Never tried it so it will be an experience. I process my own game so I'm already extra careful with butchering. Besides I have a freezer full of deer. Got this one the last day of our early bow season on 11/16/17 -

post-12939-0-10006100-1514864295_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with javi. Its good eating. Most folks just cant get over the smell after field dressing it. If you need to donate Ill be glad to take it for you lol.

Guest akaspecials

Age the meat on ice in a cheap Styrofoam ice chest for the week or two and then butcher yourself. Get dry ice 24 hours before you leave and throw it in the cooler to solidly freeze all the meat. The meat can then be wrapped up in clothing or a sleeping bag for insulation and transported easily in a suitcase or carry on. You should have 18+ hours of travel time before you have to start worrying about the meat.

I will be leaving this god forsaken frozen tundra (it's -2F right now at 2:00 in the afternoon) in 12 days to hunt south of Tucson for Coues and Javelina for a week, then my wife comes out for a week vacation in Phoenix (Cave Creek). Since I'll be flying that puts a twist in transporting game. I'd like to find a good taxidermist out there who would be willing to ship head mounts (or a skull, not sure what to do with a Javi). I'll also need to find a meat processor or someplace to store frozen meat until I leave (could be almost 2 weeks of time). In the event I fill both tags I likely won't have room for all the meat so is there a place to donate deer meat? I plan to bring back the Javi since it sounds like a challenge to cook ;).

Depending on where and when I'll need these services in Tucson, Phoenix or both. Thanks.

I wouldn't ditch the coues meat.. that's the best there is...

Shoot, if you will be traveling through Phoenix (I am in the far south east valley in Queen Creek, but work right by the Phoenix airport), I'd be more than happy to take the coues meat off your hands. I'd also be happy to store your javelina meat in my chest freezer till you are headed out of town.

I would also be more than happy to take the meat. I am in Tucson. (520)808-6950 Terry