Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

Coues hunter or Coues Sniper?

Its the off season and quiet so I will try to juice a little discussion. So how you hunt is between you, the State Wildlife Regulators and whatever Moon Goddess/Earth Mother or Hunt Gods you ascribe to.

For my part I just happen to hunt on foot and cover a bit of ground over rugged remote country. Been at it that way coming up on 50 years. Carrying a carbon fiber stocked, skinny barrel'd 270 with nice little 3-9 scope. This is a sweet shooting rig, but being light on weight and optics power I am not sure how well I can reach out past 450 yards.

Most of my 500, 600, 1000 yard shots are on paper with a rifle twice the weight, twice the optic power and a 30MM scope tube. If I carried that thing up and over Coues Country I could only cover half as much ground as I would like.

I just enjoy covering more ground, exploring to a degree and making several different stands a day. Also get a sense of accomplishment coming up with a bucks within 400 yards or less.

Unlimbering an 14lb F-class target rifle from an ATV to Snipe deer at longer ranges does not satisfy my itch to really hunt.

If your rifle weighs more than 10 LBS you might be sniping not hunting

if your rig sports 30MM tube you might be sniping not hunting

if your scope has exposed target turrets you might be sniping not hunting

Do we want to scour the countryside of mature prime breeding bucks because we can? Would it be more to the benefit of the herd and hunt quality if we dialed it back and kept things a little more "fair chase"?

Now before you take offense and light me up, please re-read first paragraph and the above paragraph.

<_< :rolleyes:

We're all bored, it's Monday, wish we were hunting instead of pretending to work... Don't let this dude troll with that garbage.

Start hunting mule deer. Can't even kill them with a scud launcher during rifle season since they're so hard to find

For 25 years hunted AZ Whitetail's and Mule deer in Utah. Up there bagging Mullies was stupid easy compared to Coues Whitetails. Not sure why they would be easier to hunt up there, but they were.

Start hunting mule deer. Can't even kill them with a scud launcher during rifle season since they're so hard to find

For 25 years hunted AZ Whitetail's and Mule deer in Utah. Up there bagging Mullies was stupid easy compared to Coues Whitetails. Not sure why they would be easier to hunt up there, but they were.

possibly more nocturnal. that and theres way more bucks up there than here.

I love the threads that give a bunch of goobers a platform to indirectly compliment themselves by criticizing others while ensuring everyone knows how hardcore they are. Just like most things in life, the ones who pound their chests the loudest are usually the pretenders. I know plenty of long range guys who are as legit as they come and do things the right way, but youll never hear them talk about it.

• Like 7

It is a good topic for responsible hunters. Internet snipers will always be around. It is hard to provoke a good conversation, you have to ignore the snipers, although they do add a little insight as to the whole situation. In my opinion your guidelines are too narrow, but maybe you did that to get responses. As time goes on and more and more technology is discovered this topic will have to be addressed probably by the G&F. As you know they are struggling with cameras, ORVs, etc.

The problem is when killing animals gets too easy then the population goes down. The result would be less opportunity for the increasing population. And as you should know unqualified people will take shots that they shouldnt because they read about it on the internet. You guys that put in the time and effort hours of practice to learn how to shoot a long ways out there and are capable of retrieving said animals from very tough conditions are exceptions to the rule.

IMHO the poster is trying to get honest answers as to how to make sure that our hunting doesnt get to the place that is out of control. I think the answer is that we have to police ourselves. If we see someone that is blazing away and not checking to see if blood was drawn call it in and let the Law check it out. Wasting game meat could be expanded to apply to that scenario. If you see someone attacking someone in a parking lot do you call it in?

Maybe hunter safety should include hunter skill with a weapon. Modern technology requires modern skills that are a little more fine tuned.

The good old days I went hunting with just a canteen, knife, on my belt and other things that I could stuff in my jeans. Hi tech was a pair of binos 7x35 Bushnell customs $90.that I still have, a Moses stick (homemade) and 4x weaver on a 3006 Win. 300 yards was a long long shot, and I was happy happy happy to go hunting that way. So, food for thought, hunters can make the rules or have them made for you. IMHO of course :)

• Like 3

I just spoke with Eric over at axis works this morning. I’m gonna have him build me a coues sniping rifle just so I can see what it’s all about. Life is all about experiences right? I’ve never killed anything with a rifle, we’ll see how that compares to watching an arrow blow through one at 20 yards.

• Like 2

It is a good topic for responsible hunters. Internet snipers will always be around. It is hard to provoke a good conversation, you have to ignore the snipers, although they do add a little insight as to the whole situation. In my opinion your guidelines are too narrow, but maybe you did that to get responses. As time goes on and more and more technology is discovered this topic will have to be addressed probably by the G&F. As you know they are struggling with cameras, ORVs, etc.

The problem is when killing animals gets too easy then the population goes down. The result would be less opportunity for the increasing population. And as you should know unqualified people will take shots that they shouldnt because they read about it on the internet. You guys that put in the time and effort hours of practice to learn how to shoot a long ways out there and are capable of retrieving said animals from very tough conditions are exceptions to the rule.

IMHO the poster is trying to get honest answers as to how to make sure that our hunting doesnt get to the place that is out of control. I think the answer is that we have to police ourselves. If we see someone that is blazing away and not checking to see if blood was drawn call it in and let the Law check it out. Wasting game meat could be expanded to apply to that scenario. If you see someone attacking someone in a parking lot do you call it in?

Maybe hunter safety should include hunter skill with a weapon. Modern technology requires modern skills that are a little more fine tuned.

The good old days I went hunting with just a canteen, knife, on my belt and other things that I could stuff in my jeans. Hi tech was a pair of binos 7x35 Bushnell customs $90.that I still have, a Moses stick (homemade) and 4x weaver on a 3006 Win. 300 yards was a long long shot, and I was happy happy happy to go hunting that way. So, food for thought, hunters can make the rules or have them made for you. IMHO of course :)

Leave it to the old guy to get the point I was going for. I remember the days of just a GI canteen, knife and a 30-06 surplus SPFD, armory built in the 30's, with a Lyman 4X manufactured before I was born. Not quite the "pure" experience as hunting with a recurve with no sights. But now days it feels close.

Thanks ThomC

i remember when we walked 5 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways.

Sounds like a frozen M.C. Escher nightmare.

• Like 2

Death stalks

Death always stalks

Be it Mr or Mrs MT Lion

Sometimes the bigger spotted cousin from down south

then the less deadly two legged predator

two legged slow two legged less stealthy than four

Season 5 soon to breed

your the prime boy this year

all the bucks lesser than you

soon you'll dominate/copulate all in your realm.

A new death stalks

off and away lurking behind fancy german glass

you can hide in grass scent and listen away

the new death out of your ken

new death starts in a Kestrel weather meter

combined with laser ranger

death is processed through Android Ballistic apps

as cold calculating finger klick NightForce to bear

with bipod and bags

cheek weld so secure

cold calculating death from afar

berger VLD to cancel soon