Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

Coues hunter or Coues Sniper?

Knuckleheads... A bunch of knuckleheads...

This was way to easy for this guy. Sets up a new profile to protect his prestigious internet persona and fires up all the monkeys with his 1st post. He sat his fat butt in a blind over a gut pile, with a cooler full of beer and a doobie, and waited for the yotes to come. He knew y'all better than you know yourselves.

This threat should be called, "Internet Sniping" instead... lol.

We get it Taco, you have never been a fan of this thread.

Is this thread just another to enlighten G$F to restrict us more and make new laws? WTH!

Like posting video of shooting a buck in the butt at 800 yards won't?

I don't have one Spanky, but post yours. You seem to know what its all about.

Is this thread just another to enlighten G$F to restrict us more and make new laws? WTH!

Like posting video of shooting a buck in the butt at 800 yards won't?

I don't have one Spanky, but post yours. You seem to know what its all about.

Nope pupster, don't have any video. What I was referring to was what I watched on this site, and thats the last I am saying on that.

My son shot his first coues at 400 yds........

A spike.

He was 10 yrs old.

Did he do it by himself or use your skill and knowledge to assist? I would assume you helped him get there, find the deer, set up properly and take the shot. I would also assume either you or him spent time behind that scope of that particular rifle working up a load and sighting it in properly.

So my point stands. Good hunters(shooters) will be effective at any distance.

You are correct, all I did though was call out the range and wind for him, he twisted the cds dial and did everything else.

But your correct.

It took practice.

A spike.

He was 10 yrs old.

Did he do it by himself or use your skill and knowledge to assist? I would assume you helped him get there, find the deer, set up properly and take the shot. I would also assume either you or him spent time behind that scope of that particular rifle working up a load and sighting it in properly.

You are correct, all I did though was call out the range and wind for him, he twisted the cds dial and did everything else.

But your correct.

It took practice.

And I bet you were super proud of him and rightly so. That is a tough shot but the confidence from practice makes it doable.

Aww! Everyone has cute little pet names for each other! Thats just super you guys!

Pet names are just the beginning. NExt thing you know there'll be meme's & then GIF's.... followed by the inevitable troutpecker & then finally another gets locked down.

This one's circling the drain and we're not even close to 10 pages! <_<

• Like 2

After all these years driving on my quad with my cheapo savage .270 with a 40mm scope I didn't realize the deer were my enemy. I should've sniped them all.

• Like 1

A spike.

He was 10 yrs old.

But your correct.

It took practice.

And I bet you were super proud of him and rightly so. That is a tough shot but the confidence from practice makes it doable.

Yes, I was very proud of him.

As a matter of fact he was pretty proud too, he kept telling everyone for weeks afterward.

We should be far less concerned about a hunter's choice of firearm or the distance they execute their kill shot from, so long as he or she is proficient and legal to shoot the animal.

I have to say though, I really put my hands in my pockets on the "someone take the meat" threads, especially posting that crap on the internet. Bring the meat, a package of McCormick seasoning and a bag of charcoal to some homeless folks and make a success story out of it. Cost < $10 if it wasn't in your camp box already.

If we have these lunatics trolling Facebook pages they sure as heck can take note of these needless conversations. Same side here folks, protect the way of life.

• Like 4

A spike.

He was 10 yrs old.

But your correct.

It took practice.

Yes, I was very proud of him.

As a matter of fact he was pretty proud too, he kept telling everyone for weeks afterward.

I think thats really cool. Good example of teaching/training done right and a young man that kept his head cool when it counted.

Its the off season and quiet so I will try to juice a little discussion. So how you hunt is between you, the State Wildlife Regulators and whatever Moon Goddess/Earth Mother or Hunt Gods you ascribe to.

For my part I just happen to hunt on foot and cover a bit of ground over rugged remote country. Been at it that way coming up on 50 years. Carrying a carbon fiber stocked, skinny barrel'd 270 with nice little 3-9 scope. This is a sweet shooting rig, but being light on weight and optics power I am not sure how well I can reach out past 450 yards.

Most of my 500, 600, 1000 yard shots are on paper with a rifle twice the weight, twice the optic power and a 30MM scope tube. If I carried that thing up and over Coues Country I could only cover half as much ground as I would like.

I just enjoy covering more ground, exploring to a degree and making several different stands a day. Also get a sense of accomplishment coming up with a bucks within 400 yards or less.

Unlimbering an 14lb F-class target rifle from an ATV to Snipe deer at longer ranges does not satisfy my itch to really hunt.

If your rifle weighs more than 10 LBS you might be sniping not hunting

if your rig sports 30MM tube you might be sniping not hunting

if your scope has exposed target turrets you might be sniping not hunting

Do we want to scour the countryside of mature prime breeding bucks because we can? Would it be more to the benefit of the herd and hunt quality if we dialed it back and kept things a little more "fair chase"?

Now before you take offense and light me up, please re-read first paragraph and the above paragraph.

<_< :rolleyes:

I ask myself this same question all the time. AZAV8ER what exactly do you think needs to be dialed back? Is it just the distance or is it the equipment as well?

• Like 1

Here is a discussion of note. I think that someone on this site posted this before. It is a good read for those that shoot animals. If you can get thru all of it then you are serious about shooting. A good test as to how much you are able to do the work, put in the time, to take the ethical shot. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.html