Sign in to follow this  
mickeyelk

Antleope unit 8 hunt.

on lopes a map isnt worth a crap. google earth then start driving around

This sounds like a fantastic plan. Especially in areas with private land and private roads.

Don't bother he's the best at everything. You don't even have to ask him he'll just tell you.

• Like 1

on lopes a map isnt worth a crap. google earth then start driving around

This sounds like a fantastic plan. Especially in areas with private land and private roads.

Don't bother he's the best at everything. You don't even have to ask him he'll just tell you.

Did you moms boyfriend drop you on the head when you were a child, or were you one of those slow learners ;)

Hi, brand new to this forum and was reading some of the previous posts about antelope hunting in unit 8, I was wondering, which map would be the best to use for road access and maybe some concentration and migration movements. The wife and I plan on taking a trip soon to unit 8 and looking at getting a head start on it. Also, if known, where private property is so we can stay away from it. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. I also drew a Unit 8 late bull elk tag. Thanks Kerry

I don't know about Flatline maps. Sounds like guys like them though, so that's good. Do Flatline maps show you private property?

I took my son on our first Pronghorn hunt in New Mexico last year. Was on a ranch and I wasn't familiar with the boundaries that much, so I downloaded the onX ap on my iPhone. Had to pay a bit of a fee for the advanced mapping service, but I found it to be VERY awesome! Basically plots who's property you are on at any given time, real-time. Also gives you land owner names in the event you want to try to contact owners for any reason (Though many large tracts are held by trusts, and it can be hard to find 'real people'...). Will be up there again this Fall, as well on a Utah archery hunt (assuming draw gods are good to me). Will definitely be using it again then. Anyway, thought I would throw that out there.

Good luck!!!!!

S.

• Like 1

Onx maps on your phone or tablet can save you a lot of headaches. In use with a flatline map it can make life a lot easier.

Beaton, Drake is one of the places I'll be looking at also. Haven't received the Flatline map as yet, said they sent it out. Thanks for the info. Never used OnX maps. I have always like the feel of maps in hand.

• Like 1

There are good antelope bucks in the pines so don't rule them out. My cousins hint unit 8 religiously and live just south of the unit. I will talk to them and pm you some info.

Beaton, Drake is one of the places I'll be looking at also. Haven't received the Flatline map as yet, said they sent it out. Thanks for the info. Never used OnX maps. I have always like the feel of maps in hand.

Get OnX as well. Once you use it you wont be able to go back. You will want a paper map as well for research and to verify.

I hunted unit 8 last year and scouted it hard as well. My advice- skip Garland Prairie, They just aren't there , at least not last year. Hunt the pines around the open flats, or go down by Drake and Putney Flat. I killed in the pines, but it can be a real challenge finding them.

best advise

check maps for meadows -- then spend time looking to see if they are around

lopers are generally in open areas -- close to water

There aint no lopes or lopers or dopers on a map. It is called hunting. Get off the roads out of your car. This is a nice web site. You will learn something. :mellow: