PseAZ

Trying to decide....?

Scope options?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Trying to decide on a scope for the wife.

• Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50
    • Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50mm
    • Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP

Im fairly new to rifles and bought the wife one in hopes she would start hunting with me. I bought her a ruger American in the 6.5 and I think ive about got everything lined out but cant decide on what scope to get her. what do you guys think between these 3 scopes? Im new to rifles I have a AR but this will be my and her 1st just trying to get her something solid she can hunt with.

• Like 1

Got the same rifle with the same vortex for the wifey.

• Like 1

I have used both the Vortex and Leupold scopes and got a LRP 6.5-20 for my GF. FFP at this point might not mean a whole lot to a new shooter, Leupold has a nice knob to easily zoom magnification up and down, a must to reduce frustration for new shooter trying to acquire target and elevation dial easy to understand. Only other thought is less magnification to make target acquisition and eye alignment with ocular lens less frustrating.

I appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming. Trying to learn as I go. Anything helps just trying to get her into it with me. What do you like about the LPR over the Leupold ?

New hunter, new rifle in 6.5CM that won't be shot at game more than 600-700? I would gonlower in magnification range. Something like a 3-12, 3-15, 3-18, 4-16, 4.5-14 range. Much easier to locate game quickly when you are not used to fast target acquisition with the much wider FOV. Plus, 12-15x is plenty for shooting well past 1000 on medium game. I made myb2nd longest kill ever on a coyote @ 1327 with the Vortex Viper HS 4-16×50. And 2 coyotes @ 1365 on 17x.

If you want to stay with the same scope lines:

Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15×50

Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14×50

Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16×50

Give us a firm budget, and I am sure we will.muddy the waters of your decision with a LOT of other recommendations.

• Like 5

That VX-6 3-18 in the classifieds would be the one I would go with it's a couple hundred more than the ones in your list but we'll worth it.

• Like 2

I'll second Lances opinion of using a 3x bottom magnification scope. High magnification is a double edge sword. It can help you see your target better and place your shot more accurately. If the shooter is unable to hold the rifle perfectly still it will cause an ongoing series of over corrections while trying to position the reticle. This will degrade the shooters accuracy. I am a fairly accomplished rifle shooter but a few years ago I missed a stationary deer at 100 yards over this issue. I was climbing to a saddle that I wanted to sit in with a rifle that had a 5.5x by 22x scope. I looked over and saw a buck climbing on the next finger over. The only possible shot was from a standing position. Footing was a little loose and it was rather windy. Still, I could not believe how much trouble I has having steadying the rifle. I thought I had it and pulled the trigger. Missed. After a search to confirm the miss I made it the the saddle and went to turn the scope up to 22x for the potential long range shots the position provided. It was already on 22x. The last idiot to use the rifle had forgot to turn it back down to 5.5. I happen to be the only person who uses that rifle and my practice is to keep my scope set so it's lowest power when moving in case of close in surprise opportunities. Had I done so in this case I probably would have had a nice venison steak instead of tag soup.

Before making a decision on a scope I would recommend trying to hold a rifle on target at around 100 yards from a standing position first with a scope set to 6x then 3x. Repeat the process from a braced sitting position. Have your wife try this exercise as well. If the rifle has a bi-pod or you have a rest try prone also. I expect you will both find it easier to stabilize the rifle on target at 3x. The rifle I mentioned above is a .300 RUM that I typically only fire off a bi-pod. My lighter carry rifle has a 2.5 x 10 scope.

• Like 2

Great info guys, I never considered the issue with her being able to locate the animal as much as being able to clearly being able to pin point the crosshairs. The main reasons I went with those 3 is I see alot of others running the same and or close to the same set up with most of the 6.5s. I know all 3 of the scopes seem to be really nice for the price and have great warranty programs. Price will vairy I can get decent deals on each of the manufacturers listed. I don't want break the bank but would like to have her a solid set up. I think realistically a solid 700 yard gun would be great. Even something I could use to shoot some yoties or something. I'm sure I'd end up using the gun for deer or something myself down the road. Just trying to save my points here for a strip tag but New Mexico hunt would be fun... I greatly appreciate the help guys.

Personally for those distances and a newer shooter I would steer from the Leuoold vx3 (whichever series) 4.5x14 anything.

The Leuoold 3.5x10 is where I would be, to my eyes there is way more light gathering on that scope over the 14 x scope.

I actually hate the 4.5x14

Lower power scope is the way to go, 2-10 or 3-15 is fine. Get one with a lot of eye relief. I find that with some leupold scopes as you increase the power you decrease the eye relief. 75% of all coyotes are shot under 50 yards. Well under.

• Like 3

Get something lower power without a parallax adjustment. Less to remember to fiddle with wit a newer shooter.

I went through this same thing a few months ago for my new 6.5x55. I chose an obsolete Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 I found online brand new for $700.

My top choices were these, and I looked and ALOT of scopes before I chose. The budget was $1000 max, but more toward $750 was the goal.

1. Leupold VX-6 that I bought.

2a. Nightforce SHV 3-10x42

2b. Leupold VX-5HD 3x15x42

3. Vortex Razor LDHD 3x12 I think

I have the 6x24 Vortex HSLR you mentioned and that is ALOT of scope for that rifle IMO. to much scope.

That said I also looked at the Vortex 4-16x44 HSLR for my new rifle and td it didn't hold and td candle to the clarity of my above choices.

I nevery got to touch an athlon in my scope quest, but they didn't offer a 40-44mm objective in a scope I was interested in so it didn't matter much.

• Like 1

Maybe a dumb question but why would you want a 40mm-44mm over something like the Athlon that has the 50mm? Wouldn't that allow more light in? I know the tube has something to do with it as well or so I'm told. Not that I'm sold on that just trying to broaden my knowledge I honestly have no clue.

You guys defiantly have me looking at something with a little less power. A lot of great points made. I'm going to have to look into the scopes you guys have mentioned and see if I cant make a trip and look through a few with her soon.

I prefer 40/44 mm over the 50

I also like 30mm tubes over the 1” but in this case the 1” will be fine.

The way I look at it regardless of the size objective you have you still have to squeeze all that light through a 1” tube, a 50mm in my opinion don’t drastically help.