Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

I would be interested to know the true ins and outs of this whole proposal. The problem is the way they tried to sneak in past everyone last time really created distrust.

• Like 1

Once again, the political bias of the commision prevents me from supporting their efforts. I am an independendant ans=d I have a great disdain for today's extreme political bias sucking the air and life out of everything I care about. The rich guys first, trickle down economics mindset that was at the root of so much of his rhetorical sales pitch and that makes me angry.

Since I have been in Arizona, I have seen the Commision outright lie and be otherwise deceptive to the very people they serve. I can't trust them, Period.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is how fighting the HSUS is political. They were going for the removal of lion hunting. It seems like that is exactly what the G&F should be there for. Nothing political about it. For them not to get involved in it is crazy to me.

• Like 3

Great question - HSUS was using a political avenue, via the ballot initiative process, which keeps AZGFD from getting involved. I was asking that same thing when the whole thing got started.

What I don't understand is how fighting the HSUS is political. They were going for the removal of lion hunting. It seems like that is exactly what the G&F should be there for. Nothing political about it. For them not to get involved in it is crazy to me.

• Like 1

Twigsnapper basically answered your question. By collecting signatures, HSUS was seeking to get a VOTER-decided initiative on the 2018 ballot to undermine the G&F management of the various feline critters. When the state's residents get to vote on an issue on the general ballot, it is POLITICAL in nature. And right or wrong, a STATE AGENCY by LAW cannot be involved in such, even if that agency favors the proposal. We lost the battle over leg-hold traps simply because no one had the needed funds to counter the ads the animal rights groups poured into the state. The same could happen to lion hunting if someone doesn't step up to plate when HSUS returns for a second at-bat.

• Like 1

I just completed a question and answer interview with Pete Cimellaro of Conserve and Protect Arizona. (Episode 424) I tried to ask as many questions as I could. There is a meeting tonight that starts at 6pm Embassy Suites in Scottsdale 5001 N. Scottsdale Rd that is open to the public. It is before the normally scheduled meeting of the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society. I think there is alot of information in this interview about what is going on.

Episode 424 Jay Scott Outdoors Podcast

For IOS and Apple users, https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/jay-scott-outdoors-western/id970694987?mt=2

For Android and PC users, http://jayscottoutdoors.podbean.com/?source=pb

Please send questions. comments and concerns to info@conserveandprotectaz.org

• Like 1

To expand on my point. The Humane society is the threat from the left and the one the commision recognizes. What's an equal and even greater threat is the many schemes on the right to confiscate and sale off our public lands.

The humane society issue has been pushed back, but the Republicans effort to take out public lands has not been thwarted and is a greater threat to future hunting right now. So while the effen commision says look over here, do realize, it's deception.

• Like 1

To expand on my point. The Humane society is the threat from the left and the one the commision recognizes. What's an equal and even greater threat is the many schemes on the right to confiscate and sale off our public lands.

The humane society issue has been pushed back, but the Republicans effort to take out public lands has not been thwarted and is a greater threat to future hunting right now. So while the effen commision says look over here, do realize, it's deception.

Just want to add one point of clarification for any reading that may not be familiar with the issue. There are two very different Humane Society organizations. The local state ones do great work and had nothing to do with the latest hunting nonsense. The problem is with the other, the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States). This one has no affiliation with the local groups and their primary goal is to ban all hunting everywhere. Don't be afraid to support your local Humane Society.

• Like 2

Just want to add one point of clarification for any reading that may not be familiar with the issue. There are two very different Humane Society organizations. The local state ones do great work and had nothing to do with the latest hunting nonsense. The problem is with the other, the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States). This one has no affiliation with the local groups and their primary goal is to ban all hunting everywhere. Don't be afraid to support your local Humane Society.

That is useful information.

Guys-

I have a follow question and answer session with Pete Cimallero today about last nights meeting in which you can hear on episode 423 of my podcast. I have a bunch of questions to ask him. If you have a specific question that you would like answered please post them here and I will do my best to get all of the questions answered. I will then be posting our conversation in its entirety on my podcast so that we call all try to be informed as possible. I would ask all Sportsman to hear all of the facts and then form and make an informed decision. At the meeting last night, they were adamant that they want this to be completely transparent and open for discussion among Sportsman unlike the last thing similar to this in 2012. I for one understand as Sportsman that we are facing numbers of issues from many people who want to see our heritage of hunting going away. Lets get all of the facts then each individual can make their mind up. I was sick to see Grizzly Bear hunting in BC go away just by it getting on the ballot. I'm afraid we could easily see something similar happen in our near future. There will be additional meetings on this where the public sportsman is encouraged to come. Last night their was only 12 sportsman who showed up. I'm trying to get as much info out to your guys as possible.

Please post your specific questions and I will do my best to get them all answered

Just a couple of questions

Jay Scott and Pete Cimallero will you profit directly or indirectly by having the creation of these elitist tags, either by commission from the sale of these tags or the guiding of hunts on these permits or otherwise?

A year or so ago a spokesman for G&F mentioned they had a surplus in funds, what has changed in that time and/or if they have a financial surplus why would you want to deplete a limited resource of the citizens of Arizona(permits), by taking away from the random draw and giving them to highest bidder?

• Like 1

Well, i listened to the new podcast on my drive home. Not impressed. And they changed the time of tonights meeting to an hour earlier, which prevents sportsmen from attending and voicing their concerns. Jay and Pete really made sure to pound the point home that this is a different group than who tried to push it last time, but it is not. Both organizations have links to eachother on their websites. I think Pete is even president of both of them? He also flat out lied and said the tag grab would bring in far more money than a stamp and they dont want to place financial burden on hunters. Tag/license/application fees increase every year anyways, whats another $5. There are 115,000 tags in arizona each year, so it is safe to say there are 500,000+ applications. Adding just $5 to each application would raise 2.5 million in the first year, $10 would raise 5 million. Also, people are saying that G&F legally cant defend themselves when Pete is saying the money raised will go straight to a G&F committee so they can defend sportsmen? Im not drinking that kool-aid

• Like 4

Well, i listened to the new podcast on my drive home. Not impressed. And they changed the time of tonights meeting to an hour earlier, which prevents sportsmen from attending and voicing their concerns. Jay and Pete really made sure to pound the point home that this is a different group than who tried to push it last time, but it is not. Both organizations have links to eachother on their websites. I think Pete is even president of both of them? He also flat out lied and said the tag grab would bring in far more money than a stamp and they dont want to place financial burden on hunters. Tag/license/application fees increase every year anyways, whats another $5. There are 115,000 tags in arizona each year, so it is safe to say there are 500,000+ applications. Adding just $5 to each application would raise 2.5 million in the first year, $10 would raise 5 million. Also, people are saying that G&F legally cant defend themselves when Pete is saying the money raised will go straight to a G&F committee so they can defend sportsmen? Im not drinking that kool-aid

The money will go to AZSFW (aka ConserveandProtectAz) and a few other organizations that make up the AZSFW. This is nothing new at all, We are hearing the same lame arguments as we did last time about how it isnt a tag grab and how it will benefit hunters and wildlife in Az.

idgaf- I'm not going to let you drag me into this. I found out for the first time yesterday afternoon about this and heard there was a public meeting. I showed up to the meeting with my recorder hoping to record the meeting with the intent to publish it on my podcast so that MORE Sportsman could hear what is going on. I was happy to find out that Pete said no problem and actually encouraged me to in his words, "Please get this out to as many people as you can" That is exactly what I did. If you listen to the episodes you will see that I have not taken any side rather than acted as someone trying to get the info to the people the quickest.

I have zero affiliation with Conserve and Protect Arizona nor AZSFWC. I am a member of RMEF, NWTF, AES, ADA and ADBSS like alot of Sportsman are. I have a great respect for the volunteers that help shape our wildlife and hunting traditions. I tend to listen to all sides before making and forming my opinions.

As to guiding any of the potential tags that this would create it honestly hasn't even entered my mind. If you don't believe me then I cant help that. I am about 26 hours into even hearing the words Conserve and Protect Arizona. At this point its way to early for me to formulate any opinions on the matter.

I will continue to try and inform and educate the public and Sportsman anyway I can and let them make their own opinions.

• Like 2

Wyoming just had a guy buy all the elk raffle tags in one day . This sounds like the same BS from 2012 also reminds me of people like Hilary Clinton and the rest of the snakes that spin what they are saying so you think you know what is being said until it is to late. Raise the price of tags or just put in a $25 per license......the wildlife of AZ need it fee if you think you need money but don’t let SFW and their corharts with all their underhanded, untruthful ways to the average AZ hunter get any tags in AZ .

• Like 3

Jay,

Thanks for the information. I would not get it if it wasn't for your podcast and I thought you did a good job being fair and impartial in your interview of Pete.

During your interview, there was a list of names mentioned that sounded like they were a part of ConserveandProtect. I recognized a few of those names but couldn't find them or any others listed on it's website. One person in particular I had plenty of conversations in 2012 about this and felt good about his opinion on that matter back then. It might be useful, at least to me to see the people involved listed on the website. Maybe I missed where they're posted, but I couldn't find them.