Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

Jay,

Thanks for the information. I would not get it if it wasn't for your podcast and I thought you did a good job being fair and impartial in your interview of Pete.

During your interview, there was a list of names mentioned that sounded like they were a part of ConserveandProtect. I recognized a few of those names but couldn't find them or any others listed on it's website. One person in particular I had plenty of conversations in 2012 about this and felt good about his opinion on that matter back then. It might be useful, at least to me to see the people involved listed on the website. Maybe I missed where they're posted, but I couldn't find them.

Saguaro-I think this is what you are looking for. I was sent this and it was one of the things I read on my podcast Episode 424

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:22 AM

To: info@conserveandprotectaz.org

Subject: Input re: Tag Grab

I dont feel like getting into too many details at this time, but i am

against the tag grab in any form, and will fight it just as hard as i did

last time. I knew it would pop up again and i am ready to start fighting

against it. You guys are unbelievable.

To: Jason and all Arizona sportsmen and women.

Jason since you were the first to react so strongly to what was discussed on Jay Scott’s podcast, I thought I would respond to you; but I also want as many as possible of Arizona’s sportsmen and women to hear it as well. Please spread the word!

Conserve and Protect Arizona (CAPAZ) has just prevented the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) from stopping all mountain lion and bobcat hunting in Arizona. That immediate threat is gone, but will they come back? Only time will tell, and shame on us if we are not prepared to defend ourselves in the future!

Who is Conserve and Protect Arizona? It was formed by a small group of sportsmen with financial help from some of the states most well known sportsmen conservation organizations. The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, Arizona Elk Society, Arizona Deer Association, Arizona Antelope Foundation, Yuma Valley Rod and Gun Club, Arizona Bowhunters Association and the Arizona Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, and some houndsmen and women, all made contributions.

The 35 member organizations, including those listed earlier, of Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation also signed on in support of CAPAZ.

For the past year CAPAZ has been working to deny the HSUS signature gatherers from collecting the 151,000 + signatures they needed to qualify their initiative. We jumped in and did this because, by law, the Arizona Game and Fish Department cannot defend themselves. Once an initiative is filed they are precluded from commenting and spending any department funds to defeat it.

We did it quietly behind the scenes and without any media coverage.

They didn’t know what we were doing and didn’t even know about us until it was too late. On March 31st, after six months of effort and with only a small number of signatures collected, HSUS suspended their campaign. This is the first time in twenty-five years, and eighty-one ballot measures the HSUS has pulled out of a campaign.

Thanks to all of those who supported the CAPAZ effort, or made contributions, this is an important victory we can all share!

With the history behind us lets look at where we are now. CAPAZ had to run a quiet underground campaign because we did not have the three to five million dollars necessary to run a traditional campaign to educate the voters. Our plan worked once, but now with HSUS aware of our effort they are educated. We are back to trying to find a way to defend ourselves. It will take the education of the voting public and millions of dollars to make this happen in order to effectively defend us against another HSUS effort.

How do we raise the money? Do you have a plan? Do you have donors willing to write big checks? Can we rely on you to take this on and defend hunting and the professional wildlife management of the Arizona Game & Fish Department and Commission?

Where were you on the HSUS issue we just brought to an end?

These are the questions we had to answer at CAPAZ. Our collective work turned the issue in our favor and sent the HSUS packing. Now we are focused on “Going Forward” and defending wildlife, the Arizona Game and Fish Department, the Arizona Game & Fish Commission, and all Arizona Sportsmen and Women. Listen to what we have to say and give us a fair chance too make our case!

What happened in 2012 is far different then what CAPAZ is doing today. All of the organizations listed earlier were opposed to that effort. Today, we are working with them and soliciting their input on this issue.

Let me make one other thing very clear, none of these organizations have been asked to support any proposal for a special tag program. They are participating in our effort to take this to sportsmen and women and discuss a concept of raising funds for public education through the sale of a limited number of special tags.

Through a collaborative effort with all stakeholders we want to try and establish a program which educates the people of Arizona about the importance of professional wildlife management, the support of hunters and anglers and how this is important to wildlife, wildlife management, and wildlife habitat.

The Facts from Conserve and Protect Arizona:

Conserve and Protect Arizona will not get a dime of this money.

Meetings started last week to discuss this concept and more will continue in the future.

At this time no legislation is written supporting this concept.

This effort is being discussed with the Arizona Game & Fish Department and Commission.

If this program is established, the Arizona Game & Fish Department will administer it, not an outside organization.

Our suggestion is that a managing committee, similar to the Habitat Partnership Committee, be established to administer it.

The Special Commissioners tags that currently support the Habitat Partnership process will not be used for education. Only the new tags authorized under the program will be used for education.

We are not advocating for any particular number of tags. This would be determined in the future development of the program.

All sportsmen and women together, are small in number when compared to the entire population. We cannot afford to lose anyone in our effort to remain viable in our pursuit of the outdoors. Join with us to insure we have a strong voice in determining that future

In closing, let me assure you we want your constructive comments and concerns. We are trying to involve as many as possible so that product we produce can be support by the great majority of sportsmen and women.

Conserve and Protect Arizona Board

Pete Cimellaro, President

Rich Williams, Vice President

Tracy Unmacht Secretary

Charlie Kelly, Treasurer

Eddy Corona, Director

Jim Unmacht, Director

John Koleszar, Director

Brad Remfrey, Director

PS: We would not have put this out on Jay’s podcast if we were trying to keep it from you!

Contact us:

info@conserveandprotectaz.org

Tracy Unmacht Secretary

Charlie Kelly, Treasurer

Eddy Corona, Director

Jim Unmacht, Director

John Koleszar, Director

Brad Remfrey, Director

AZSFWC Board 2012 behind HB2072 from (http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=5&threadid=406174)

AZSFWC Council President/Chairman - Jim Unmacht Secretary/Treasurer - Alan Hamberlin Director - Eddy Corona Director - Joe Del Re Director - Floyd Green Director - Charlie Kelly Director - John Koleszar Director - Jerry Nelson Director - Mark Nuessle Director - Art Pearce Director - Brian Pinney Director - Shane Stewart Director - Gary Stinson Director - Robert Thomas

Best I can tell of the current Board that Pete Cimellaro claims is a "completely different" organization, 4 of the 8 listed were Board members of the AZSFWC in 2012 that pushed the tag grab that was HB2072. Anybody look up incestuous?

• Like 4

Best I can tell of the current Board that Pete Cimellaro claims is a "completely different" organization, 4 of the 8 listed were Board members of the AZSFWC in 2012 that pushed the tag grab that was HB2072.[/size] Anybody look up incestuous?

That's why I was interested. There are 4 new names that a lot of people here can vouch for. As for the others that were a part of the 2012 part, it's going to be hard to trust them. It's good we discuss this with an open mind.

Following Jay's conversation with Cimelarro, and Cimelarro's pledge of an open process and that they will answer all questions, I sent them the following questions. I will post any/all replies as I get them.

I have the following questions;

-Name the "we" you kept referring to in the Apr 10 meeting that have formulated this. Anyone from G&F?

-Where specifically have your future meetings been posted and where will they be posted?

-Did you make an effort to obtain and review all the comments from the public written on sites, submitted to G&F, etc during the 2012 HB2072 process?

-I heard in the podcast that you invited many folks and 12 showed up. Did you invite folks who were clearly opposed to HB2072?

-Where will future meetings be posted and how far in advance? Seems the average Joe is just hearing about this today.

-Do you have an email list of folks to broadcast too (many of us refuse to use Facebook, etc)?

-Will you post prominently open your books to date so everyone can see who is funding your activities?

-If you say there are about 100,000 total tags and they want 150-200 that is 2/10 of one percent. Would you be satisfied with 2/10 of one percent of each "class" of tags (ie. sheep, rut elk, antelope, strip deer, etc) and all being raffle tags with a limit on tickets purchased so it is CLEARLY aimed at the regular Joe rather than the wealthy? That would mean 1 sheep tag about every 5 years, etc. How about no tags to this process where the chances of getting one in the regular draw are less than 2%?

-This sounds like a back door way of using a State asset (game tags) for political purposes. Are you on solid legal ground? Who says?

-The "extra week or two" on a "regular tag" (oxymoron) that Pete referred to - would it come before the regular season or at the end?

- You seem to take complete credit for HSUS pulling their initiative drive. How much credit should be given to the new law that makes it harder to put an initiative on the ballot?

- Please be specific (Pete dodged the question in Jay Scott's interview). What are the differences and what is the same between what you are now thinking and the process in 2012 in HB2072?

Is it the case that 1/2 the Board of this organization were also Board members of AZSFWC when they pushed HB2072 ( John Kolazar, Jim Unmacht, Eddy Corona, Charlie Kelly)?

Thank you,

Bruce Johnson

• Like 2

Sounds like these guys are trying to take all the credit for defeating the lion ban.

To me it looks like they are using that to try to get this through. Kind of like the gun grabbers after a mass shooting. I dont trust them at all.

• Like 5

Jay,

Thanks for the information. I would not get it if it wasn't for your podcast and I thought you did a good job being fair and impartial in your interview of Pete.

During your interview, there was a list of names mentioned that sounded like they were a part of ConserveandProtect. I recognized a few of those names but couldn't find them or any others listed on it's website. One person in particular I had plenty of conversations in 2012 about this and felt good about his opinion on that matter back then. It might be useful, at least to me to see the people involved listed on the website. Maybe I missed where they're posted, but I couldn't find them.

Saguaro-I think this is what you are looking for. I was sent this and it was one of the things I read on my podcast Episode 424

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:22 AM

To: info@conserveandprotectaz.org

Subject: Input re: Tag Grab

I dont feel like getting into too many details at this time, but i am

against the tag grab in any form, and will fight it just as hard as i did

last time. I knew it would pop up again and i am ready to start fighting

against it. You guys are unbelievable.

To: Jason and all Arizona sportsmen and women.

Jason since you were the first to react so strongly to what was discussed on Jay Scott’s podcast, I thought I would respond to you; but I also want as many as possible of Arizona’s sportsmen and women to hear it as well. Please spread the word!

Conserve and Protect Arizona (CAPAZ) has just prevented the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) from stopping all mountain lion and bobcat hunting in Arizona. That immediate threat is gone, but will they come back? Only time will tell, and shame on us if we are not prepared to defend ourselves in the future!

Who is Conserve and Protect Arizona? It was formed by a small group of sportsmen with financial help from some of the states most well known sportsmen conservation organizations. The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, Arizona Elk Society, Arizona Deer Association, Arizona Antelope Foundation, Yuma Valley Rod and Gun Club, Arizona Bowhunters Association and the Arizona Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, and some houndsmen and women, all made contributions.

The 35 member organizations, including those listed earlier, of Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation also signed on in support of CAPAZ.

For the past year CAPAZ has been working to deny the HSUS signature gatherers from collecting the 151,000 + signatures they needed to qualify their initiative. We jumped in and did this because, by law, the Arizona Game and Fish Department cannot defend themselves. Once an initiative is filed they are precluded from commenting and spending any department funds to defeat it.

We did it quietly behind the scenes and without any media coverage.

They didn’t know what we were doing and didn’t even know about us until it was too late. On March 31st, after six months of effort and with only a small number of signatures collected, HSUS suspended their campaign. This is the first time in twenty-five years, and eighty-one ballot measures the HSUS has pulled out of a campaign.

Thanks to all of those who supported the CAPAZ effort, or made contributions, this is an important victory we can all share!

With the history behind us lets look at where we are now. CAPAZ had to run a quiet underground campaign because we did not have the three to five million dollars necessary to run a traditional campaign to educate the voters. Our plan worked once, but now with HSUS aware of our effort they are educated. We are back to trying to find a way to defend ourselves. It will take the education of the voting public and millions of dollars to make this happen in order to effectively defend us against another HSUS effort.

How do we raise the money? Do you have a plan? Do you have donors willing to write big checks? Can we rely on you to take this on and defend hunting and the professional wildlife management of the Arizona Game & Fish Department and Commission?

Where were you on the HSUS issue we just brought to an end?

These are the questions we had to answer at CAPAZ. Our collective work turned the issue in our favor and sent the HSUS packing. Now we are focused on “Going Forward” and defending wildlife, the Arizona Game and Fish Department, the Arizona Game & Fish Commission, and all Arizona Sportsmen and Women. Listen to what we have to say and give us a fair chance too make our case!

What happened in 2012 is far different then what CAPAZ is doing today. All of the organizations listed earlier were opposed to that effort. Today, we are working with them and soliciting their input on this issue.

Let me make one other thing very clear, none of these organizations have been asked to support any proposal for a special tag program. They are participating in our effort to take this to sportsmen and women and discuss a concept of raising funds for public education through the sale of a limited number of special tags.

Through a collaborative effort with all stakeholders we want to try and establish a program which educates the people of Arizona about the importance of professional wildlife management, the support of hunters and anglers and how this is important to wildlife, wildlife management, and wildlife habitat.

The Facts from Conserve and Protect Arizona:

Conserve and Protect Arizona will not get a dime of this money.

Meetings started last week to discuss this concept and more will continue in the future.

At this time no legislation is written supporting this concept.

This effort is being discussed with the Arizona Game & Fish Department and Commission.

If this program is established, the Arizona Game & Fish Department will administer it, not an outside organization.

Our suggestion is that a managing committee, similar to the Habitat Partnership Committee, be established to administer it.

The Special Commissioners tags that currently support the Habitat Partnership process will not be used for education. Only the new tags authorized under the program will be used for education.

We are not advocating for any particular number of tags. This would be determined in the future development of the program.

All sportsmen and women together, are small in number when compared to the entire population. We cannot afford to lose anyone in our effort to remain viable in our pursuit of the outdoors. Join with us to insure we have a strong voice in determining that future

In closing, let me assure you we want your constructive comments and concerns. We are trying to involve as many as possible so that product we produce can be support by the great majority of sportsmen and women.

Tracy Unmacht Secretary

Charlie Kelly, Treasurer

Eddy Corona, Director

Jim Unmacht, Director

John Koleszar, Director

Brad Remfrey, Director

PS: We would not have put this out on Jay’s podcast if we were trying to keep it from you!

Contact us:

info@conserveandprotectaz.org

google the names on this list. I think more money would go to wildlife if it was given to a heroine user with a cardboard sign off of I-10 then these guys.

• Like 1

I contacted the commissioner here in the Phoenix region today, He stated he had not heard anything about this yet...

• Like 1

Jay, BS

They do not want our input or they would have given us more time..... more notice and been transparent.

I hear what you are saying but this is just starting. All Sportsmen have the ability to have a major impact on this if you don't like it tell them why. If you do tell them why. In my opinion, we as Sportsmen need to express our likes and dislikes of the idea. I think this will continue to take shape according to your input. I will try to keep you posted on the next meeting. This is our chance to be heard. All Sportsmen's ideas and concepts should be entertained in my opinion.

Ok, well thanks for responding. Maybe your just stuck in the middle and trying to be heard on your pod cast (which

are excellent). But this is starting out poorly if they are interested in everyone's input.

Was our input not heard last time when it was voted down?

But they have a new name so it must be better right?

Show us one post regarding the HSUS issue where they were advocates. Show me the post on any hunting or fishing site announcing the group and their goals and where and when the meeting was to be held. Same people and same goal as last time. Will get the same result as soon as we can find enough tar and feathers.

• Like 1