Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Asking for a friend

No season on Eurasian doves. Non-native species.

If it is legal to shoot a pellet gun within Mesa city limits, it is legal to have the pellet end up in a Eurasian dove....but I doubt it is legal to shoot a pellet gun (pneumatic weapon) within Mesa city limits.

How quiet is it?

How close are your neighbors?

How "left" are your neighbors?

• Like 8

Never a shortage of Dove in my house:)

had to hit one in the temple or neck with buddies red ryder. how i learned to shoot circa 1967 east mesa, az

lee

ps i think they were actually Inca doves

• Like 2

Is it legal to shoot Collard Doves with a pellet gun in the City of Mesa?

Yes there are people doing so at the dairy near my house every week along with shotgun hunters taking out the Eurasians and the pigeons.

• Like 1

You can shoot pellet guns in the City of Mesa but only target shooting at a backstop.

I would think Eurasians qualify as a "target". As long as there is a backstop (like block wall, annoying neighbor's house, neighborhood troublemaker, Prius, tweaker, treehugging lefty, etc.) you should be fine then.
  • Like 6

"I do not own a pellet gun....these pigeons just happen to die of natural causes".......

• Like 2

You can shoot pellet guns in the City of Mesa but only target shooting at a backstop.

I would think Eurasians qualify as a "target". As long as there is a backstop (like block wall, annoying neighbor's house, neighborhood troublemaker, Prius, tweaker, treehugging lefty, etc.) you should be fine then.

Seems to me a dove makes a decent backstop.

• Like 2

Mesa City Code 6-1-15:

6-1-15: WEAPONS:

It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to negligently or purposely discharge any firearm, BB gun,
or slingshot within the corporate limits, except: (394,1635)

(A) In necessary self-defense. (394,1635)

(B) A law enforcement officer in necessary performance of his duty. (394,1635)

© For the purpose of target shooting or practice on a range operated by qualified personnel. Qualified personnel
shall consist of either a certified firearms safety instructor, rifle or pistol marksmanship instructor certified by
the National Rifle Association, or person designated by a rifle or pistol club, public or private school, or
military agency. (394,1635)

(D) Target shooting on private premises with air or CO2-operated BB or pellet guns or slingshots, providing:
(394,1635)
1. The target area is enclosed in such manner and with materials that will stop the projectiles. (394,1635)
2. Such target shooting is supervised by an adult at all times. (394,1635)
3. Any safety precautions recommended by the Police Chief are complied with.

(E) In an area recommended as a hunting area by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission and approved by the
Police Chief. Such area must be posted as required by the Police Chief and may be closed at any time by the
Police Chief or the Director of the Game Department. (394,1635)

(F) Where a permit is issued by the Police Chief. (394,1635)

(G) In defense of property from damage by animals or birds, providing the property owner obtains a permit from
the Arizona Game Department or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the taking of such animals or birds is
properly supervised by the Game Department or the Fish and Wildlife Service or a person designated by
either of those agencies to assure the safety of surrounding property owners. (394,1635)

(H) Definition. For the purpose of this Section, a firearm is defined as any device that expels a projectile or
projectiles by means of expanding gases.

• Like 2

When I was a kid I got caught by NM G&F for shooting dove out of season with a .22 on my dad's farm.......I got two sitations....one for out of season and one for using an illegal firearm for taking dove!

According to the books back then.....only a shotgun was legal firearm for taking dove.......according to that officer that memorable day!!!!

And there were no "city limits" it was farmland middle of nowhere.......

Catch them. That's what many pigeon control outfits do. You need only a cage made of 1" or smaller mesh with a one way door like a lot of crab cages use. They'll stroll right in for some millet.

Sell em to bird hunters training their dogs, or grill em with a nice dry rub and wrapped in bacon....

• Like 2