Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Wild Horses???

Too bad they don't understand Darwin and carrying capacity of an ecosystem.

• Like 1

I'm a horse lover and a feral horse hater, that being said until something gets done so that we can manage them I'm ok with them hauling water, it hopefully will benefit the wildlife in some degree. Its crazy dry up here.

• Like 6

I'm a horse lover and a feral horse hater, that being said until something gets done so that we can manage them I'm ok with them hauling water, it hopefully will benefit the wildlife in some degree. Its crazy dry up here.

I had the same thought. Just like the presence of feral horses is a burden to the landscape and wild animals, feral horse lovers hauling in water for the horses is also going to benefit the native animals.

• Like 2

Good flip on negative to positive..............

• Like 1

WHT_MTNMAN is absolutely right. Regardless of how each of us feels about the feral horse population in 3C, any water that is being hauled out there is a great thing for the wildlife. My wife and I just spent 4 days out there hunting bear last week and we must have looked at the majority of water sources from springs, drinkers and stock tanks from Hwy 60 (the eastern border) to Black Canyon Rd. Of those, between 5-10 had water, including Black Canyon Lake. There is a severe lack of water and feed both and I wouldn't be surprised if we have some die off's of wildlife because historically we still have another 6-8 weeks before we are going to get any amount of moisture to provide water. With forest closures going into effect any day, there will not be any water hauled out there, including by G & F so the animals will be in a dire situation with the hottest, driest weeks of the summer about to hit.

BTW, we saw two dead horses. They apparently got stuck in the mud of an almost dry tank trying to get a drink. I'm a horse lover but do not care much for these "Heber Horses" that are simply WMAT Rez escapee's. However, they are living creatures and I have to say that what we saw was heartbreaking. No creature should die like that.

• Like 3

There is so much emotion attached to wild horses, this scenario is played out over and over in hundreds of places not just in this country. Good luck finding a solution, if some fool wants to haul water I say let em.

Let em die. Elk and deer are likely and able to move and find water elsewhere. Those horses wouldn't be facing this fate if they allowed the forest service to remove them. If this is the only way to thin the herd I hope it doesnt rain for 3 months.

• Like 5

The res shoots several horses a year on the down low. This i know for a fact, and my hats off to them for doing it. Why is it that if a mountain goat wanders into the strip from utah you can shoot it as a feral animal, but you can't shoot a feral horse?

• Like 2

I will personally volunteer to shoot those horses and not a single care will be given by me. I don't see them as horses, looks like a big cockroach

• Like 2

I will personally volunteer to shoot those horses and not a single care will be given by me. I don't see them as horses, looks like a big cockroach

if they ever legalized it I'd be the first volunteer to shoot every last round of ammo I owned into a horse. Until then all we can do is pray they die off on their own.
  • Like 1

For all those saying hauling water will help the wildlife need to look at what the horse population in Nevada does to the wildlife. Wild/ feral horses move onto a water tank and the stallion will keep deer, bighorn sheep, elk from watering until the horses leave. Tim Burnett and Remi Warren cover it on a episode of Solo Hunter podcast. So I don't know if these horses are as wild as the mustangs in Nevada but it may not help the wildlife in the way you think it will, sometimes the horses don't leave for two weeks to a month.

• Like 1

I have 0 desire to shoot one of these things. There is no hunt associated with it. I would like them gone, but I dont want to do the killing.

I wish the BLM program actually worked. Unfortunately nobody wants them. Probably have to exterminate them.

• Like 3