Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Calling all Internet Lawyers specializing in Archery Law

My Daughter and one of her Archery friends shoot quit often before a outdoor tourny in one of the parks/water retention deals in her dads HOA.now that they both have drivers licences and vehicles they goto one of many parks or to ben avery for outdoor and the local archery shops for indoor. few people call and complain cops finanly told the complainer to GFY they have a good back stop and arent causeing any problems. Cops watch them from time to time just because of the call from one neighbor.

Heck any field/lot you find is pretty much safe to shoot if you have enough room. I shoot sometimes in the feild on the south east side of nothern and 75 closer to 72nd. Never been bothered. plus I can walk to it.

normally I shoot in the parking lot at work up to 60 yards. I let me daughter shoot 30 yards in between cnc machines up against the back door standing by the mail boxs in the front of the building. she doesnt miss so I aint worried. she shoots between 2 doors from outside to inside. 18 meters (indoor archery ) is what we have set up at the shop.

• Like 1

I shoot in the retention areas around my house in Gilbert. Never had a problem. When I looked into it I couldnt find any law against it. Shooting in my backyard is no concern. How would anyone know?

• Like 2

No HOA in the country, 100yrds in my back yard

Across the highway from the Baptist church to the elevated 3d target. But not on Sunday.

• Like 1

I can shoot 150 yards in my back yard. HOA be damed

Sweet.... range time at your place!

Arent you NTS kid?

Come shoot at my place anytime.

Was shooting in my backyard the other day, stuck an arrow square in the side of my house. Good times

I was shooting in my man cave once and shot through the wall. Doh!

• Like 2

Tale from many years ago.

I live in the 2nd house from the intersection of two low traffic, neighborhood streets. When I was into archery hunting, I would practice in my backyard shooting toward one of the roads forming the intersection. My yard was about a 35-yd. distance, then a 6' block wall, then my neighbor's yard of the same distance as mine, another 6' block wall, then the street and then the backyard wooden fence of the house on the other side of the street.

Everything went fine for months until one day my release decided to release on its own in mid-draw where the arrow, with field point, was still aiming slightly upward. It sailed onward over my wall and continued on. So off I went to find it. It had embedded itself about an inch deep near the top of one of the wooden fence posts on the other side of the street. Overall distance was about 90-100 yds.

I can't recall what brand the release was, but it was the last time I used it.

Shooting in urban areas is pretty sketchy. 99% chance, you’ll never have a problem, but if one of those arrows escapes your property as mentioned above, be prepared for the lawsuit and/or criminal charges if you destroy somebody’s property or worse, injure or kill someone.

A few years ago I owned my first home in Avondale, about 150 yards from the aqua fria wash. Seemed like a good place to shoot, flat, sandy, a half mile wide. No chance at all of a stray arrow hitting anyone or anything. Well, one of my do-gooder hoa neighbors saw me carrying my bow and target down towards the wash and immediately called the cops, who showed up before I even got to the wash. Cop was fine, polite, professional, etc. asked me what I was doing and I told him I wanted to target shoot with my bow. He explained it is illegal in that town to discharge ANY weapon within city limits, so I had to go somewhere else. Plus the wash is city property and it’d be trespassing too.

I’d consider at least calling and asking what the rule is in your town before one of your concerned neighbors calls for you and gets you fined or worse.

• Like 1

He explained it is illegal in that town to discharge ANY weapon within city limits,

Cops use that response all the time but can never point out a actual statute that makes it illegal.

I can shoot 150 yards in my back yard. HOA be damed

Sweet.... range time at your place!
Arent you NTS kid?

Come shoot at my place anytime.

Careful.... I might just take you up on that offer!

Shooting in urban areas is pretty sketchy. 99% chance, youll never have a problem, but if one of those arrows escapes your property as mentioned above, be prepared for the lawsuit and/or criminal charges if you destroy somebodys property or worse, injure or kill someone.

A few years ago I owned my first home in Avondale, about 150 yards from the aqua fria wash. Seemed like a good place to shoot, flat, sandy, a half mile wide. No chance at all of a stray arrow hitting anyone or anything. Well, one of my do-gooder hoa neighbors saw me carrying my bow and target down towards the wash and immediately called the cops, who showed up before I even got to the wash. Cop was fine, polite, professional, etc. asked me what I was doing and I told him I wanted to target shoot with my bow. He explained it is illegal in that town to discharge ANY weapon within city limits, so I had to go somewhere else. Plus the wash is city property and itd be trespassing too.

Id consider at least calling and asking what the rule is in your town before one of your concerned neighbors calls for you and gets you fined or worse.

Lots of angles to consider for sure! As many people have said above things can go wrong.