Ernesto C

Chronograph, which one?

Which Chronograph do you guys use? I was going to order the Magneto Speed Chronograph but decided to ask you guys and see which one your recommend? 

This one looks cheap to me but is a good one? 

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-720001-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph/dp/B00HTN5DTE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1535999857&sr=8-7&keywords=magnetospeed+sporter+chronograph

Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Ernesto C

I have a CED and a Magneto Speed. Since I bought the Magneto Speed the only time I use the CED is with pistols or bows. If you work with large capacity cases like a .300 RUM the muzzle blast can blind the sensors on a screen type chrono unless it is a long way from the muzzle. It is also much harder to shoot a Magneto Speed. I have had it for years and never done it. I know I'm an Ace when it comes to standard screens. At least 5 confirmed kills.

Mangneto speed works great.  The ones you have to set up in front of you and if your at the range and something happens you have to wait unitl the time is up

I have used 2.

For many years I used the Shooting Chrony Master. The portability was nice. Setup was a little tedious, but not a deal breaker. It has great reviews across the internet but mine seemed to get an exorbitant amount of bad reading or non-readings. Mostly I did like it though, but not enough to buy another one. My biggest complaint was how fragile it was. I only shot it once and it didn't work after that.......lol

I am still a novice at putting them in the ground evidently. 4 more to go.....

I now have the Caldwell. Sets up quicker and also connects to my cell phone for recording strings. Have not had any bad readings or missed readings YET. Very little range time with it though. So far very happy.

I also use it for archery.

Would the one Ernesto posted work for us guys that dont won't to spend a bunch? I want one but it would rarely get used.

Depends on how much money you want to spend on haveing rounds not register.  I’ve had cheaper ones but never fully trusted the numbers.  Maybe go in on one with a buddy and share it?  You do get what you pay for.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bustedknuckleinc said:

Depends on how much money you want to spend on have rounds not register.  I’ve had cheaper ones but never fully trusted the numbers.  Maybe go in on one with a buddy and share it?  You do get what you pay for.  

The buddy is what i did.

I have seen a few labradar units at the range lately. They look like a good option but are not cheap. Bruno's had one on the shelf a few weeks ago when I was there. 

For 10+ years, I used a Chrony Alpha.  Cheap, and was very close.  I always verify with actual drops at distance however.

I just switched to a Labradar.  I love it, but it eats batteries fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

For 10+ years, I used a Chrony Alpha.  Cheap, and was very close.  I always verify with actual drops at distance however.

I just switched to a Labradar.  I love it, but it eats batteries fast.

Lance,

Does

the lab radar work if there is someone shooting next to you?

No issues with people at the next table.  

Gives ES, SD, average velocity,  5 velocities at different distances.  Reallly easy set up right at your table, no weight on your barrel to change barrel harmonics, easy to switch rifles while shooting without touching it, easy recall features.