lionhunter

My Boy's first coues.....

After locating 3 bucks over 100 while helping a friend on a November hunt, we began this December tag with high hopes.  We went down the opening weekend; Saturday and Sunday only due to school.  We glassed 6-10 bucks per day, but nothing my 16 year old son wanted to take.  He was fortunate enough to harvest a 200 plus inch (gross) mule deer last year and really wanted a 100 inch Coues.  As the second weekend approached I was planning our trip down South, and he informed me that he did not want to hunt because he did not want to disappoint the guys at 'work".  He volunteers at our Church, and with a million services for Christmas they could not get through without his help.  We went back down the day after Christmas with the intention of staying until New Years.  The first morning back was good.   glassed several bucks in that 80 ish low 90 range.  He asking is it over 100 Dad?   "Nope".  we met up with my best buddy around 3 and decided to go back to a different spot I have not glassed in a long time.  4 of us looking at one look and a friend of mine from work had to be "that guy" and walk a 1/4 mile to look at it from a different angle.  He is new to hunting and called on the radio and said, "I have a buck that is big".  I walked to his location and after some piss poor communication located the buck.  At first glance I said "no, I don't think he is over mid 90's".  After some coxing from a couple of buddies, and as the sun was getting low, he and I decided to have a closer look.  We closed the distance from 1600 yards to 351.  I relocated the buck making a half hazard attempt to birddog does, I said "bud, I still don't think he breaks 100, but look at him and if you want him take him.  One well placed shot off shooting sticks with his 6.5 cm $400 cheap rifle, the buck was down. It started to rain and snow on us, but the pack out was awesome.  After measuring this buck several times he is 101 and 4/8.  Mission accomplished.

Thanks for reading 

Whitey

Lucas coues 2018.jpg

lw2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Wow! 1

That is a beutiful buck! And good for him for wanting to put others before himself,  that says a whole lot about him. 

• Like 1

Great buck congrats too the two of you... I'd like to see a picture of his 200" buck?

• Like 2

Now what a 400 inch elk? Nice to see kids still giving back because they want to and not brainwashed into it. Congrats and quit counting inches it takes the fun out of it.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, TOBY said:

Now what a 400 inch elk? Nice to see kids still giving back because they want to and not brainwashed into it. Congrats and quit counting inches it takes the fun out of it.

Thanks, and yes a 400 inch elk would be great!  The hunt really wasn't all about inches, more in teaching him about passing up average bucks and digging up the one he would be happy with.  We had plenty of time, and wanted to look over as many bucks as we could.

Whitey

Man - stellar buck and that Muley is just awesome. Huge congrats. I'd love to hear the story on the muley if I missed it on another thread. Great job!

• Like 1