Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Ticks and javelina

Why do javelina not have ticks and fleas ? 

Ive harvested 30+ javelina myself and been in on that many more with kids and family - including 5 this week - and had 100 more come in my shop and I have never seen a tick or a flea on them .... 

is it strictly because they have no “fur” under there coarse hair ? But ticks dig in and don’t need the fur to hang on to .... so why are they not on them ? 

Just curious - all other critters in the dirt are covered In them - jackrabbits / foxes etc ..... so why not them??? 

Hmmm. Never though much about it but your right. I’ve kill 15+ cleaned others 10+ never seen a tick. 

Funny, as soon as I read the title I instantly thought I never saw one myself.  If i had to guess id say due to the type hair they have. To course unike fur.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Cuz they stink. 

More misinformation regarding Javelina...^^^ _  Go to TX and see if that holds true.

I was wondering the same thing.  I have cleaned a couple where I had the dry heaves so bad I thought I was going to loose it because they smelled so bad.

I have taken 15 or so and also never a tick one.  I think the amount of stink is directly related to how shitty the shot is.  If the first shot is a good shot, little to no stink.  If the animal is alive longer than they should have been after the shot, the amount of stink goes up.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

What? Texas javelina don't stink?

Nah the boars smell the same here but are generally a darker color then the AZ ones. More black on them from what I have seen.  But it is an interesting observation about the ticks. I have never seen any on any of the javelina I have harvested. 

11 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I have taken 15 or so and also never a tick one.  I think the amount of stink is directly related to how shitty the shot is.  If the first shot is a good shot, little to no stink.  If the animal is alive longer than they should have been after the shot, the amount of stink goes up.  

Translation: If you think Javelina stink really bad: You are most likely a very poor hunter that can't get/take a good shot on an animal that is near blind and will tolerate numerous mistakes. As far as Texas Javelina are concerned, I have been there twice killed Javelina both times and the ones in South TX were covered in fleas and ticks, the ones in West TX not so much.

Where I hunt them the area smells like them. So yes, they stink. 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, Mr September said:

Translation: If you think Javelina stink really bad: You are most likely a very poor hunter that can't get/take a good shot on an animal that is near blind and will tolerate numerous mistakes. As far as Texas Javelina are concerned, I have been there twice killed Javelina both times and the ones in South TX were covered in fleas and ticks, the ones in West TX not so much.

I have shot them in the head and they still stink. And stink bad.

• Like 2

And all the best field care in the world ain't gunna make em taste any better.

• Like 2