Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

12A West Late or 12B West Late. Which one?

First let me publicly thank those on the forum who were so helpful when my wife pulled the trigger on her elk points.  She had a spectacular hunt and though she didn't kill on her late muzzleloader tag, we found 39 bulls in a week of scouting and for almost the entire season we were on two of the biggest bulls we have ever hunted.  If it weren't for a couple deer busting us in the last seconds of a stalk, my wife would have almost certainly dumped one of them.  One of our most memorable hunts ever.

After years of sitting on my deer points, I believe this is the year I want to hunt.  I am pretty much guaranteed any tag other than 13A or 13B which I could wait for for yet another 15+ years as a nonresident.  With the incredible moisture and lower tag numbers I'd like to hunt.  I just need to pick the tag to go for.  I don't think I would go wrong with either one.  Which tag would you recommend, 12A West Late or 12B West Late, and why?

I'm still up in the air on using a guide.  The satisfaction of going DIY is pretty hard to pass up.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Umpqua said:

P.S.  I am pretty familiar with several of the outfitters on the Kaibab: Duwayne Adams, A3, Zero Guide Fees (Travis McClendon), Tyne Heckethorn, Jason Bond.  If I decide to use an outfitter is there one that really seems to standout on the Kaibab?

Although I am not very familiar with either unit, i would say that you are on the right track with burning your points this year. We might not see this much moisture again for a LOOOONG time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Although I am not very familiar with either unit, i would say that you are on the right track with burning your points this year. We might not see this much moisture again for a LOOOONG time

Agreed.  I think it would be hard to go wrong with either one.

I'm a fan of Duwane Adams, he's a stand up guy. He's pretty much the king of the kaibab IMO. Anyone worth their salt up there pretty much copies what he's known for doing for 30 years.  I'd say go 12a west, and this is an excellent year to have a tag. I envy you!

• Like 2

Do you have one less then max?  I would expect a LOT of guys to have the same idea as you.  I’m assuming you’ll put a strip hunt first choice so I would put whichever is easier as you second.  If you’re two less then max or more I’m thinkin you’ll prob need to draw in the random.  

14 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Do you have one less then max?  I would expect a LOT of guys to have the same idea as you.  I’m assuming you’ll put a strip hunt first choice so I would put whichever is easier as you second.  If you’re two less then max or more I’m thinkin you’ll prob need to draw in the random.  

I have max.  Even with max, draw odds for 13B should be something like 25 to 1 or 4%.  I should pretty much have my choice of tags on my second choice.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Umpqua said:

I have max.  Even with max, draw odds for 13B should be something like 25 to 1 or 4%.  I should pretty much have my choice of tags on my second choice.

Although there are resident deer in 12B, most deer that show up are migratory, mostly from Utah.  Cold and snow in Utah will mean a banner hunt but hot & dry will leave a lot of deer on the wrong side of the fence. 12A West deer are generally resident year round.  If I were in your shoes, I'd go 1st choice 13B then 12A West late.  Good luck in the draw.

• Like 3

Those late hunts (12aw or 12bw) can be great if weather cooperates, and even if not, are still a ton of fun.  If you’re looking for fun then go ahead but just know that the potential for a giant is there but the likelihood of it actually happening isnt great.  If you can have fun seeing a bunch of deer and enjoying the beauty of the Kaibab then by all means do it.  At max points it is hard to give up on that strip dream, however.

I am biased for Duwane ,cause I used Him in Nov. last year and everything was perfect. All the other guys listed are good too.Its a matter of knowing where to go. Good luck.........BOB!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maximus said:

why don't you call duwane adams i'm sure he will give the right advise.

I've talked to several outfitters including Duwane.  Some strongly recommend 12A West, some strongly recommend 12B West, and one says it is a toss-up.  Some say nearly all of the bucks that are hunted in 12B West migrate in off the Kaibab, others say nearly all the bucks come off the Paunsagunt if it snows. 

• Like 1