maximus

Woodbury Fire

28 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

This is a post from the facebook page of 

Arizona Wildfire Incidents:

Woodbury Fire is now heading into the Tonto Basin! This is not going to be good! We have not heard of evacuations yet! When we do it will be posted forthwith

Are there other fires across Apache Lake that are also being considered part of the Woodbury Fire?

Wow.  Must of blew up this afternoon. 

Photo of Woodbury Fire @ 4:00 6/17.  Pic taken from Rio Verde Golf Community.  Been watching the fire today and yesterday.  The fire appeared to double in size today (or worse).

Woodbury Fire 6 17 2019.JPG

1 hour ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

Are there other fires across Apache Lake that are also being considered part of the Woodbury Fire?

I guess they put out a correction to that post that I missed. Its not headed there yet.

Drove from Payson to Mesa and at around 5:00 going into Fountain Hills there was almost no plume to be seen.

5 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Drove from Payson to Mesa and at around 5:00 going into Fountain Hills there was almost no plume to be seen.

#fakenews. No fire. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

I don't think the fire will hurt the dwellings , I think people will be shocked if it exposes a bunch that weren't known before. 

Yeh, the Lost Dutchman mine searchers.  Who knows what evil lurks in the wilderness.  Smoke em out.  😏

I'm wondering how the orchards at Reavis have survived 150 years of lightning and fire storms. Perhaps they'll survive this, perhaps not.

For two decades I 've packed in to Reavis for the beauty and the bounty. Always anxious to sink my teeth into a juicy Golden Delicious when ripe or smelling the apple cobbler cooking in the damned heavy dutch oven you reluctantly packed in and didn't dare leave back in the truck.

The last Coues I took was while resting my antique .06 on the last southwestern most Apple tree in the orchard.

I always resented the usfs stance against that orchard, they were not indigenous and they wanted them gone. Hope those trees are a thorn in the forest services side another 150 years.

22216344_1443197833.jpg.a9366719cf0d031bb43aa1f48700e760.jpg

22216344_134270111780.thumb.jpg.daaeb97e3c4aa019e15cf4f9d2782419.jpg

• Like 12

I have a lot of great memories of the ranch over the past 20 some odd years and will miss that orchard dearly should it go. My son got to make the trek a couple of years ago at age 9 for the 1st time and then again this past Fall to reap the rewards of the orchard in full bloom. Last season was a heckova harvest!!! I've had the area on my bucket list of places to hunt since getting into this obsession a few years ago. It will stay on my list of places to hunt but will be different for sure. I hope the orchard survives and if it doesn't... we'll have to hope something better will come for future generations. At least the trash and Copenhagen tins the hoards have started to leave behind in recent years will get burned up in the process as well. 

• Like 1

Reading the morning report from inciweb, sounds like they're putting resources in to protect the orchard. 

• Like 3

Saw this comment from Tonto on their Facebook page.

"Yesterday the Team introduced low intensity fire to minimize the effects to the Reavis Ranch area, including the Apple Orchard. As of last night, there was a surface fire backing through the area as observed from the air. There has not been an assessment of the area on-the-ground."

Hopefully their efforts worked to prevent the fire from devastating the area.

• Like 2

Nice update. A lot of good would come from that surrounding area getting a good burn that doesn't take out the old growth and sterilize the ground. A couple of the biggest junipers I've ever seen are back in there.

• Like 2