maximus

Woodbury Fire

I have a hard time remembering its a wildfire. All I can think of every afternoon when the smoke settles up here in the White Mountains that all of southern Az must be using mesquite for their BBQ. 

It is always tough to see fire burn through some of our favorite areas but it will rebound and do great very quickly. 

• Like 2

i have a friend that has a house in Roosevelt, hope they can save it but looking at the maps looks like reavis ranch and the cliff dwelings are safe.

Interesting graphic. Pushing into the top 5.

24B4F758-4CD2-4F90-BD29-A1D433107E50.jpeg

Is it true the contractors and firefighters get paid more if it lasts more than 30 days? Seams like one tanker drop would have put it out when it was only 100 acres. Now $60,000 every time that plane leaves the ground? When the fire was small can’t pull the trigger on the money?

• Like 3

The indian that started the rodeo fire did it so he could get work 

that grpahic is crazy, I mean you’d think there would be at least one of the top fires prior to 2002. 

• Like 1

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I worked along side my dad in the log woods up here in the 3c area, logging and thinning brush.  There was a significant amount of work back then. It all stopped shortly after.  10 or so years later we burn almost half a million acres. 

• Like 11

On 6/24/2019 at 8:58 PM, AZ8 said:

Interesting graphic. Pushing into the top 5.

24B4F758-4CD2-4F90-BD29-A1D433107E50.jpeg

Interesting but also VERY misleading with the circles.

I don't mean to downplay the size of it at all but the areas of the circles shown for the Woodbury/Wallow fires indicate the Wallow was over 20X bigger than the Woodbury at the time, not less than 5X bigger. 

3 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

SO did you get out a ruler and measure the circles? Not sure how that makes any correlation relevant but the quantity of acres is all that needs to be spoken of.

5 hours ago, PRDATR said:

SO did you get out a ruler and measure the circles? Not sure how that makes any correlation relevant but the quantity of acres is all that needs to be spoken of.

Ruler? Nope. Didn't have to use my fingers either. Just pointing out that the object used for a visualization comparison is 400+% off.  

Sometimes size matters. Sorry if you've been told your whole life that it doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1