idgaf

when an average hunter gets a strip tag. In the field updates

2 hours ago, StickFlicker said:

Seeing scaled quail is certainly shocking.  They do look like that's what they are, but the photo quality isn't very clear.  Are you sure that's what they were?  The G&F book on game birds of Arizona doesn't show a population of them within hundreds of miles, but there could have been a transplant at some point since the book was printed in 1989.  Thanks again for sharing all the photos and ongoing story!  I was lucky enough to archery hunt that unit two years ago, and turkey hunt it this spring, so I can picture many of the areas you're hunting.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Its a possibility as there is some weird stuff people bring and leave out into the desert, some guy in St George that dad ran into said someone planted bobwhites by the dirt runway airport in unit 13a

Dad and I back in the late 80s went all over the north rim looking for chucker, we used to hunt them in idaho and very eastern Washington state.

We never saw one chucker on about 6-7 trips.  they do have gambles in 13b

14 hours ago, hoghntr said:

So a Utah guide says several got hammered then he shows up at same spot as you spooking deer? Hmmm something tells me he is 1 big buck short of 100% truthful. ;)

Good luck you are definitely seeing some great bucks. Hard horned cheaper to taxidermy anyways. 👍👍👍

Fortunately, I speak 'Guide' pretty well and can decipher what he is saying. lol.  Side note another flat, at a tire shop in st george right now and getting caught up on work emails.  

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, Delw said:

Its a possibility as there is some weird stuff people bring and leave out into the desert, some guy in St George that dad ran into said someone planted bobwhites by the dirt runway airport in unit 13a

Dad and I back in the late 80s went all over the north rim looking for chucker, we used to hunt them in idaho and very eastern Washington state.

We never saw one chucker on about 6-7 trips.  they do have gambles in 13b

these were scaleys.  Had the yellow top knot and everything. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, idgaf said:

Fortunately, I speak 'Guide' pretty well and can decipher what he is saying. lol.  Side note another flat, at a tire shop in st george right now and getting caught up on work emails.  

This supports what I've always heard about flat tires up there...I bought an extra spare for my Kaibab hunt and never needed it. I still carry it on long towing trips though. Several folks including AZGFD up there said it wasn't necessary (though I noticed the AZGFD truck had 2 spares bolted in the bed)

• Like 4

Just now, bigorange said:

This supports what I've always heard about flat tires up there...I bought an extra spare for my Kaibab hunt and never needed it. I still carry it on long towing trips though. Several folks including AZGFD up there said it wasn't necessary (though I noticed the AZGFD truck had 2 spares bolted in the bed)

Not on the strip but in unit 10 spent a night hauling two flats out with my truck jacked up spare already being used.....those are character building moments!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigorange said:

2 spares and a big can of fix a flat!

Yup ,I am left handed, some say we are dumber! I went to Kaibab last year with extra spare vand allways cary Fix a flat It might help........Good luk and get a good one. Don't worry about burnout. You can rest after the Hunt.........BOB!

fun evening. WARNING PICTURE INTENSIVE!!  i found a the buck that makes me lose my breath. I get back from St George and try to check out a spot on Mudd Mountain.  I can see where camping was extensive and the place was hit hard.  I go back up top and see the husband and wife team.  Hes going after that 5x6 he has on camera.  Not expecting to much I go high vantage point and start glassing.  Nothing. I am thinking I should be at the waterhole I was at this AM so I pack up my bag and start moving than that same hard horn 2 point pins me.   I dont move and they go back to what they were doing than 150/160 class "dink" gets to 25 yards and doesnt take his eyes off of me for 5 minutes. I dont even twitch.  The three small bucks eventually pass.  I know they are part of the bigger herd so I creep up and startle a few bucks they scramble 50 yards to right, 75 yards away.  I figure  well they have me busted so I'll keep trying. I inch forward and see this.

3-2.PNG.853f5ad2a94c8ce9337b13c30a3c8e13.PNG

3-1.PNG.cc8304c1dc5d912933f548077da80fc9.PNG

I dont move and they go back to chewing there cud. I see big horns and inch closer. I am judging him and strongly considering.

3-4.PNG.ab51f24287627ea1c621d44f5a8ed8b5.PNG

If I had any other tag I would have emptied my quiver. I put my bow down to resist temptation

some more gratuitous 3 point pics

3-5.PNG.6a0c835f616317debbe44636de838bb9.PNG

3-6.thumb.PNG.35f43d8cb97cf770a5a3b647ff53eafb.PNG

3-7.thumb.PNG.700e3eedb6f0d9f7c73f80cf9b93dd24.PNG

3-8.PNG.08c5fa18d4555c278dc41fda849174d6.PNG

I inch closer, im now within 50 yards of the two 4 points and the big 3.  Then some more bucks move in.  I first see this guy

3-9.PNG.b91067d0c55b367ce35b29da5856faf6.PNG

3-10.PNG.5ba823297921f77f599b4a41eca3aa80.PNG

then this little fellow pops out. 

3-11.thumb.PNG.dbe1dffd68154817064c5c6dc8262f18.PNG

Im thinking where is the big guys at? then the boss shows 

(not sure if the side view is the boss or another buck)

3-12.PNG.bda8ab060160b4b8ebe048e097a27ee7.PNG

I snap a couple of blurry pics and then I think I should be freaking shooting my bow.  right then canter off.  I get to 35 and trip on a rock and they bounce.  they will be back tomorrow (I hope and I will focus on this guy) his main beams are freaking sic and he made me loose a breath. 

3-14.thumb.PNG.1447b2e5759ce91f4862856c7876f999.PNG

I may even wear camo tomorrow.  Keep in mind a strip buck ear to ear on average is 26".  the average south of here is 24"

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

That 3x3 is wide, but hes shorter than I thought he would be on the side view.

great pics as always keep up the good work

5 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

That’s crazy my friend posted that same 3 point on Instagram earlier today 

Is his name Breck? Or does he drive a white tundra?

6 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Is his name Breck?

No, I’ll send you the pic, it’s gotta be the same deer. I’m not sure what he’s driving he’s with his friend that has a tag

edit: I’m sure it’s the same deer I see the cut in the ear