idgaf

when an average hunter gets a strip tag. In the field updates

I Get into the grove of hunting the strip, either sit water or drive around.  My choice this morning is drive around.  I see this guy and consider putting a stalk on. The Bucks have lost or are starting to shed there velvet making them look not as good. 

1-1.PNG.4b9b54a8297fd3a072efb37293ffa360.PNG

then his friend pops out

1-2.PNG.dc803ef2b473a4c04964114af0c686e1.PNG

I go down the road a bit and see this guy

1-3.PNG.11fa12343a074ec2668e3c404020c6f9.PNG

1-4.PNG.1728612274e70dbf134188ce51e8db9d.PNG

I spend mid day back looking for Matrix, that 6xwhatever that I missed earlier leaving the area and going to Oak Groove.  Wear your best camo if you check water down there, you will get your picture taken. 

1-7.thumb.PNG.ae5f23cb5855c206acbf593e7e2814ff.PNG

I keep going south until a view of the western half of the grand canyon, on my wake back I see some Scale Quail.  I thought it was unusual.

1-6.thumb.PNG.5fc5944e5dda57f4dc3b54c880ff3322.PNG

• Like 1

Today 9-2

I drove halfway from oak grove to Black rock last night, intending to go the rest of the way in the predawn hours.  I get about to the turnoff to Mudd Mountain, when i see water on the ground and parts and pieces off to the side.  One of the Utah guides had hit a doe and wiped out his vehicle.  I clear room for him and take him up to the top so he can meet up with the guy he is helping.  I sneak into the area where that big herd that I have been posting pics of has been hanging.  Apparently, a couple of bucks in that group went 230" inches or so.  Who Knew.  I find them, less than a hundred yards away and they seem jittery.  I take a couple of pics of the smaller ones and look for the big guys.

2-1.PNG.adefdcb6e47bb856c6ff6e3ad0acbbd0.PNG

then this guys look my direction but not at me.  The guide I had just helped is behind me.  Apparently several of the bucks were killed during the week I had to work.  

2-2.PNG.444689d70581d8c7d794a91750314ddc.PNG

The guide and I talked for quite a bit and he lets me know that majority of my hitlist has been obilterated.  we meet once again with the other hunter on the mountain.  His wife just killed 180" and he is staying the full hunt. and then I go and check my trail camera

2-3.thumb.PNG.16f6bc5aa752d4bb9ee8e12c050b5da6.PNG

2-4.thumb.PNG.7341e5f037cf89630490c4820cc046f9.PNG

2-5.thumb.PNG.2c27eef75506006b390a4a73748a33eb.PNG

the reason I asked that question earlier is because I could probably record it. and that buck is kinda cool. oh yeah that lion is still on the prowl.

2-6.PNG.11e5bc2857e507b2eee337fc88fd96a0.PNG

I spend the evening chasing the pretty buck.  He is now hard horned and has a couple of friends.  I was at the edge of the field he has dinner in, ironically making dinner when the storm started hitting.  Thinking he wouldnt come cause of the rain, I drive through and meet him and his buddies in the brushy part of the field .  they leave in a hurry.  tomorrow, i will sit one of the three tanks that a has water on black rock. 

• Like 2

So a Utah guide says several got hammered then he shows up at same spot as you spooking deer? Hmmm something tells me he is 1 big buck short of 100% truthful. ;)

Good luck you are definitely seeing some great bucks. Hard horned cheaper to taxidermy anyways. 👍👍👍

• Like 3

Those look like Chucker, as many times as I have been up there in the early years I have never seen chucker up there. cool find forsure.

Glad I checked one last time before calling it a night lots of cool pics.

I've had my 10 x 50   nk. over 20 yrs,still good enough. If I need to see see it better, i just become a better seeker.

This is my best mule-32 inside.

IMG_0530.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Delw said:

Those look like Chucker, as many times as I have been up there in the early years I have never seen chucker up there. cool find forsure.

Glad I checked one last time before calling it a night lots of cool pics.

Look like quail to mee.

• Like 2

Seeing scaled quail is certainly shocking.  They do look like that's what they are, but the photo quality isn't very clear.  Are you sure that's what they were?  The G&F book on game birds of Arizona doesn't show a population of them within hundreds of miles, but there could have been a transplant at some point since the book was printed in 1989.  Thanks again for sharing all the photos and ongoing story!  I was lucky enough to archery hunt that unit two years ago, and turkey hunt it this spring, so I can picture many of the areas you're hunting.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride.