codyhuntsaz

Never thought i would turn this tag back in

35 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Hopefully you don’t spend too many points on it. 

Hunting antelope in Arizona on a bad year is still a good hunt. 

• Like 2

That second buck looks pretty good to me....

I'll be waiting for next seasons "27 points and I couldnt draw a tag" rant.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I MIGHT have kept the tag if i could find that 2nd buck consistently, only saw him once in 5 days. I’m not sure there’s any tag in the state you can’t draw with 27 points.

59 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

And he is giving his back! 🤔

5 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

After waiting 26 years to draw this tag, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would turn it back in. After two scouting trips to unit 10, I can honestly say this is a terrible year for antelope in that unit! At least for me, I couldn’t find anything over 80”, maybe not even over 78” in five days of Scouting. That’s on the Boquillas ranch and on public land. Super disappointed! I hope whoever gets the tag makes the most of it! 

3 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I’m new to antelope hunting, but i couldn’t find a single buck over 80”. 

2 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I MIGHT have kept the tag if i could find that 2nd buck consistently, only saw him once in 5 days. I’m not sure there’s any tag in the state you can’t draw with 27 points.

This posts blows my mind, you wait 26 years for a lope tag, your "NEW" to lope hunting and you "THINK" you can tell the difference between a 78" and 80" lope? 

Dude your one of those High Maintenance chicks aren't you

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Delw said:

This posts blows my mind, you wait 26 years for a lope tag, your "NEW" to lope hunting and you "THINK" you can tell the difference between a 78" and 80" lope? 

Maybe i can, maybe i can’t, but i know what “look” i was looking for. To me that was more important than the score. I watched a lot of videos on scoring antelope, took a lot of the “guess the score” quizzes that Pronghorn Guide Service puts out and got fairly good at scoring them, by no means the expert you seem to think you are. I buy point guard for many reasons, this is one of them. Had I been able to consistently find a few bucks that had the look i wanted i would have kept the tag and hoped for the best. Since i didn’t, i didn’t. I spoke to a few guides that confirmed the same things i was finding, just a down year in the unit. I spoke to a few guys that had the archery tag that were going to turn it back in. One guy had a rifle tag in 2015 and an archery tag this year, said it was night and day difference and the quality and quantity had gone down horribly. Spoke to another guide that had advised his rifle client to turn his tag back in as well. It is what it is. I wouldn’t call choosing to your an insurance policy “point guard” high maintenance, but you can, that’s cool. 

• Like 1

I’d do the same if that’s all you can find.  You can shoot a buck like the first one every couple years in WY or MT.  The second one is a real nice buck, but I’m guessing still right around 80 maybe a bit better.  You can kill a buck like that on a decent priced landowner tag in NM any year you want. An AZ tag is a special thing.  I’d hang onto those points. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Someone’s gonna get lucky!!!!

Hopefully a deserving Veteran or a kid that will appreciate it. I donated it to the OE4A. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Delw said:

Turn his tag in this year and when he does get drawn again maybe it will be a worse year. 😂

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Maybe i can, maybe i can’t, but i know what “look” i was looking for. To me that was more important than the score. I watched a lot of videos on scoring antelope, took a lot of the “guess the score” quizzes that Pronghorn Guide Service puts out and got fairly good at scoring them, by no means the expert you seem to think you are. I buy point guard for many reasons, this is one of them. Had I been able to consistently find a few bucks that had the look i wanted i would have kept the tag and hoped for the best. Since i didn’t, i didn’t. I spoke to a few guides that confirmed the same things i was finding, just a down year in the unit. I spoke to a few guys that had the archery tag that were going to turn it back in. One guy had a rifle tag in 2015 and an archery tag this year, said it was night and day difference and the quality and quantity had gone down horribly. Spoke to another guide that had advised his rifle client to turn his tag back in as well. It is what it is. I wouldn’t call choosing to your an insurance policy “point guard” high maintenance, but you can, that’s cool. 

A few guys? in UNIT 10??????? so there are 4 guys (few=3 + you =4) you talked to turning in there  lope tags? I am going call 100% bullshit on that.

I dont know maybe your right, if I waited 27 for a lope tag maybe I would turn it in too.