Sign in to follow this  
TwoGuns

Thoughts on flying with a rifle?

I have to believe this has been talked about before, but what advice would anyone share on flying with a rifle? What cases are worth the money? Locks? Things not to do?

Im flying back to AZ to go to Mexico in January and have not gone through this before.

thanks,

Twoguns

The Cabelas hard double rifle case is rock solid and reasonably priced. I have flown with it without issues. As far as locks, you cannot use TSA locks on a rifle case. A couple of everyday keyed Master locks work great.

With Delta if the case has a hole for a lock, it has to have a lock. My son was flying out with a Pelican case that had 2 master locks on it but had spots for 2 more locks. Had to buy 2 TSA locks from Delta for $25 each and those locks are $8 at Walmart. It was either that or miss his flight. 

14 hours ago, rossislider said:

The Cabelas hard double rifle case is rock solid and reasonably priced. I have flown with it without issues. As far as locks, you cannot use TSA locks on a rifle case. A couple of everyday keyed Master locks work great.

You can’t fly with TSA locks? I haven’t had any issues before?

The first time I flew with a rifle I assumed TSA locks were required, but was told that TSA locks are not permitted by security. I don't claim to be an expert, only sharing what I was told. I assume because they don't want baggage handlers and the likes having the ability to access the firearm. Only the firearm owner should be able to access the case. When you check it in, security will come over and check it or they will take you to security. But once they do their check, they don't want anyone to be able to open it until you get it back at the final destination.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rossislider said:

The first time I flew with a rifle I assumed TSA locks were required, but was told that TSA locks are not permitted by security. I don't claim to be an expert, only sharing what I was told. I assume because they don't want baggage handlers and the likes having the ability to access the firearm. Only the firearm owner should be able to access the case. When you check it in, security will come over and check it or they will take you to security. But once they do their check, they don't want anyone to be able to open it until you get it back at the final destination.

This is absolutely true.  I used to fly with TSA-approved locks until someone showed me the Federal Regs that counter this.  Its actually a violation of Federal law to fly with TSA approved locks.  When I get back to the office Tuesday, I can share that pdf of the CFR.  Someone remind me, though!

• Like 1

To clarify on my post. My son had 2 master locks on his pelican case which is all that was required by TSA. Delta's policy is if it has a hole it has to have a lock so they were good with the other 2 being TSA locks. 

Just remember, on arrival at your destination the case will probably NOT come out of the carousel with

the other bags. They will bring it out by hand and you may need to pick it up

at the airlines baggage handling office. ID will be required. 

When checking in,,,,be there earlier than normal. Be prepared to deal with 

snippy airline/TSA people that may be anti gun/hunting. Answer questions directly

, do not Add Lib. Ammo in the gun case in original container or a hard plastic (my preference)

ammo box. Carry a spare key for the locks, and wouldn't hurt to have a spare set of locks/keys.

Put something on your case so you can recognize it a mile away, so someone doesn't sneak

out with it.

• Like 1

I'm certainly not a world traveller with a firearm, but I've flown a few times, but it's been a few years, so maybe a few things have changed. When you check your luggage in, tell them you have a gun, most airline employees will see the case a mile away, you will have to fill out a form stating it isn't loaded, and a copy has to go inside the case, and the bolt has to be out of the gun. I keep my bolt in a plastic bag to keep any grease off the inside of the gun case. Then you go to a TSA agent, some places swab the outside of the case and some want to see inside the case. Like Paleo said above upon arrival your gun should go to the baggage office, but about 50% of the time mine came off with the luggage, so it's probably a good idea to have your case marked. I've used a key lock and a combo lock without any problems. One last thing, I would get a decent case for your gun, there are a lot of gun haters out there!

Great info. I am looking at the Pelican 1750 right now. It’s expensive but looks like it’s solid. 

And I’ve heard differing thoughts on the ammo. It should be in its original box inside the case with the rifle? Or it should be separate?

1 hour ago, TwoGuns said:

Great info. I am looking at the Pelican 1750 right now. It’s expensive but looks like it’s solid. 

And I’ve heard differing thoughts on the ammo. It should be in its original box inside the case with the rifle? Or it should be separate?

I've done both with my ammo and never had a problem. Just be sure it's in original boxes or the plastic ones. Easier if you put it in the gun case, however, to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. That way you don't also have to open your bag for inspection if the agent is picky. 

As for the case, I have a Kalispel two-gun aluminum that I'll be listing for sale. It's built like a tank of heavy-duty .80 ga. aluminum with all welded corners and a locking rod. If you're interested, send me PM. 

It's like the one on the right in the link below:

https://www.kalispeltribe.com/programs-and-services/kalispel-career-training-center/kalispel-case-line-1

Best advice is to get there early, can’t be stressed enough. I’ve gone through the same airport with the same firearm and it’s taken 5 minutes one time and close to 2 hours the next. 

Most US airlines have the same rules regarding packing of the firearm and ammo so everything stated above applies. I would check the airlines website though to see if they require any forms so that you can try to fill them out prior to getting to the airport. 

I have a Pelican case and put four Brinks keyed padlocks on it. I spray painted them satin black and to match the case. I went to a Trophy shop and had them make a metal flat black name plate with the letters of my initials and last name on the first line and phone number on the second line in gold.

The tag is 1" X 3" and I had them put two holes in it which I put 8x32 screws into with nuts and star washers on with red loctite and also painted the screws with the same paint I did the locks with. TSA never wants to look in it, they just swab it, give me the form and has me open one end just enough to slip the form inside. Depending on where you fly into if it doesn't come out on the baggage carousel you need to go to customer service but the last time I flew into Islip on Long Island I was met halfway across the terminal by a baggage handler with the case in tote. I flagged him down, showed him my ID and was GTG. 

• Like 1

I can't find the pdf of the regs, but here is a link and a summary.

https://www.govregs.com/regulations/expand/title49_chapterXII_part1540_subpartB_section1540.111

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless -

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

Many years ago, I was told that ammunition had to be in a separate container than the firearm.  When I was flying back from Iowa after my dad's funeral, the attendant at the check in had no problem with my two separate containers full of an AR, AK, SKS, 4 pistols, etc, but she had a huge problem with all of the butcher's knives that I had triple bubble wrapped for everyone's protection.  She raised a huge stink about the knives, even after I explained my dad was a former meat cutter and I was getting everything out of my mom's house due to my meth-head sister.  She called her supervisor over and he rolled his eyes, saying everything was fine.