Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Kodiak Sitka Trip

Ninilchik was awesome!! They are strictly a transporter and cant tell you where to hunt or how to hunt or even relay messages to others on the boat about where deer are etc...but food was great, keeping dry at night was invaluable and they did a wonderful job providing radios, getting us to where we wanted to be etc... Great way to hunt Kodiak

Thanks for the post. I’m booked for a blacktail hunt on Kodiak next November. This post really gets me excited. I’ll probably asking you a bunch of questions between now and then. Congrats, looks like quite the adventure

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Redman said:

awesome, congrats, thanks for writing this up.  I want to do a Sitka trip someday, maybe not Kodiak because of the bears....

Have you had other trips like this?  How would you rate this trip comparatively.  

I did a diy drop camp for Caribou in northern AK and a mtn goat hunt in Kodiak. It was extremely wet and alders are no joke but the mixed bag was the selling point for me. I could have killed all 3 deer but again my goal was to do as much as I can. I even sat on the beach and missed a black (silver tip ) fox. Sure wish I could have a re do on that one.

Looks awesome! Also, it looks like half of you is missing, eat a carb once in a while buddy!

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Thanks for the post. I’m booked for a blacktail hunt on Kodiak next November. This post really gets me excited. I’ll probably asking you a bunch of questions between now and then. Congrats, looks like quite the adventure

Are you doing drop camp? Or boat? Or road system. We spent over 2 days in airports waiting on weather so we talked with a bunch of guys all doing it differently, so I have some decent info to share.

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Aren’t those like world record size deer you got? 

They are good bucks for sure...i think B&C is 100 and 108" all time...my guess is that the 2 biggest will be somewhere around 105 gross, but I didnt take time to score or anything and for sure didnt care. Pope and Young of course makes book at a much lower #.  

8 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Are you doing drop camp? Or boat? Or road system. We spent over 2 days in airports waiting on weather so we talked with a bunch of guys all doing it differently, so I have some decent info to share.

Doing a boat trip

Absolutely awesome Houston.  Thanks a lot for sharing man!  I would love to go to Kodiak someday and kill some Sitka deer.  That is at or near the top of my list for an Alaskan adventure that is within grasp.  Posts like this give me a great perspective on what to expect when it finally happens.  

If you don’t mind me asking Houston, is there a big cost savings between a guided hunt and a transported hunt?  Did you notice any significant differences?  I honestly prefer to not have a guide as I like to make my own decisions, that being said there’s a lot of logistics to those hunts and I know a guy needs some help with equipment and access to the animals.  Packing, caping etc is something I also like to do myself, so that’s no issue.  Did you compare and contrast boat vs float plane etc?  

Wow what a trip