DCMHunter

Max Bonus points

I have asked this before and now asking it again.  What unit would you put in for if you had 25 (almost Max) bonus points for antelope ?  Go hunt gives me a choice of about 10 units.  I am looking to do a DIY hunt and can spend lots of time scouting.  So at this time I am not looking to hire a guide.  I would just like your opinion on what area would give me the best chance at an 80+ buck.  I have only hunted antelope one time before and did not harvest an antelope, only succeeded in nocking the sights off my muzzle loader.   Thanks in advance for all your help

DCM

Same question, same response. A goal of >80” in AZ is achievable in almost any unit in the state. Pick the hunt experience you want.

Unit 10 - A chance at finding a super big buck, potentially shooting long range, lots of other tag holders.

5BN - Same potential for a huge buck. Not as many tags but still gets plenty of attention from guides and outfitters. More vegetated areas.

Unit 9 - Hunt the trees and fewer people.

19B - Lots of private’s land you buy access to and have all to yourself. Highly recommend doing muzzle loader instead of rifle in this unit.

5A - Very few tags. Open country. Not nearly as much hype as 5BN.

3A / 3C / 4A / 4B - Lower on the radar but plenty of opportunity for a buck over 80”. Not as big of a circus as the more popular units.

Units I would stay away from 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3B, 7, 8, 19A (unless you do archery), anything in the 30’s.

One thing to note, they reduced antelope tag numbers significantly in several units this year. When you look at gohunt it will show the draw percentages from this year but will not reflect point creep from reduced available tags. Further complicating things is the fact that many premium tag holders point guarded tags last year so they are back in the draw this year.

With our current moisture conditions it’s very possible we will have similar conditions which some say lead to smaller overall horn growth.

I will say this, I highly encourage you to use those points. Between aggressive tag numbers, dwindling habitat, and high predator numbers I think antelope are really struggling in this state. AZ’s days as the antelope Mecca of the world may be numbered.

• Like 8

Just do like others do and put in and get drawn. Purchase point guard and if you don’t like what you see scouting leading up to the hunt then be a wimp and turn it back in. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"Units I would stay away from 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3B, 7, 8, 19A (unless you do archery), anything in the 30’s "

Why do you say that?  Do these units not have the genetics to produce bigger bucks?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

"Units I would stay away from 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3B, 7, 8, 19A (unless you do archery), anything in the 30’s "

Why do you say that?  Do these units not have the genetics to produce bigger bucks?

The recent reports I have heard from these units reflect dwindling age class and lower overall buck size.

19A has lots of big ones but there may or may not be any left after two archery hunts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

1 sucks for quality. 

I’m surprised at this info from two guys on unit one.  My buddy killed an 86 incher in 218 and it wasn’t even the big one he had found while scouting. 

10 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

I’m surprised at this info from two guys on unit one.  My buddy killed an 86 incher in 218 and it wasn’t even the big one he had found while scouting. 

thats awesome. 

3 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

Do you think there may be a possibility that they don't want any more people putting in there??? 😉😒😁😳😭😂

• Like 1

I have said it many times that in my 40 years of living in 19a/19b it has been devastating to watch the destruction of one of the biggest trophy producing areas for antelope in the country. Looking back I was very upset when access issues cut a major amount of tags in 19b. But now I consider it a blessing in the fact that the herd will have a safe place to exist at least until the big chino and deep well sell off to developers.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Do you think there may be a possibility that they don't want any more people putting in there??? 😉😒😁😳😭😂

The odds are so low anyways that it doesn’t affect it that much.  

On 12/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, AZkiller said:

Be snarky if you feel like it. I told him what my opinion was. I’m no expert or big time guide so I don’t have any inside info. And I don’t put in for rifle antelope in AZ so whatever he does it’s no hair off my nuts. Just answering the man’s question.

• Like 3

Unit 1 is loaded with small bucks and a few big ones. Not unlike most other units. The 2 units have really poor rainfall over the last 10 years coupled with 40 acre development. Not ideal for recruitment or herd building. The tag reduction may help? The 2 units typically have long, thin horn with small cutters. Impressive to see but don't score well. A couple years ago a hunter asked for access to our ranch to hunt a "sure fire" book buck. I wasn't aware of any that big but he assured me he was seeing them- Opening day he killed a really pretty 14" buck that would go 75".

• Like 1