azhunter23

Restrictions on hunting over water and trail camera use.

1 hour ago, knothead said:

First I heard of this but I know quite a few hunters who would support a game camera ban from July 31st - Dec. 31st.  

Oh there is a lot of them. So the more times this is brought up, we could be shooting ourselves in the foot because they will be also sending emails in support of the ban.

58 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I know the meaning of it. Just not sure why I’m a carpet bagger? I’m a life time az resident but won’t discount an idea from a “carpet bagger” if it’s a good one. The proposed bill is not a good idea.

Did you read the previous comments you quoted asking why?

Just speculating here, but given the two bills he put forth would affect activity around water holes/stock tanks, it's possible a few ranchers got Thorpe's ear. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

As written, it appears this would eliminate waterfowl hunting within 100 yds. of nearly every lake in the state since they are all "man-made." And if you own a house or cabin within a 100 yds. of a lake or other man-made watering "facility," you won't be able to field dress your doves, quail, etc. at home.

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/54leg/2R/bills/HB2131P.htm

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:

Section 1.  Title 17, chapter 3, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 17-308.01, to read:

17-308.01.  Unlawful activities near water holes, stockponds and other man‑made watering facilities; notice; civil penalty

A.  A person may not do any of the following within one hundred yards of a natural water hole containing water or a stockpond or other man‑made watering facility containing water:

1.  Set up a blind, lie in wait or otherwise conceal oneself for the purpose of taking wildlife.

2.  Field dress taken wildlife.

B.  A landowner or lessee of private land may post a notice or sign to notify persons of the activities prohibited by this section.

C.  The commission may impose a civil penalty of not more than $250 against any person who violates subsection A of this section.

• Like 1

$250 max fine.

Pretty cheap way to get a water hole all to yourself.

HAHAHAHA

• Like 2

So I guess they’re going to hire a couple thousand more tree cops and pay them to hike every ridge in the state on a weekly basis to check for cameras?

good luck with the enforcement on this one

• Like 1

I just sent the following:

Mr. Thorpe, 

As written, it appears HB2031 would eliminate all hunting, including waterfowl, within 100 yds. of nearly every lake in the state since they are all "man-made." And if someone owns a house or cabin within a 100 yds. of a lake or other man-made watering "facility," they won't be able to field dress doves, quail, etc. at home.

Although HB2030 isn't near as bad, it contains ambiguous and vague language such as "...or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses a water source." What is the normal "manner" in the way wildlife accesses a water source? 

Tony Mandile

Glendale, AZ

• Like 1

You may not LIE IN WAIT at a waterhole.  Or, LIE during any political speech.  Or, LIE with your neighbors wife.  Or, LIE up a tree at a waterhole.  Or, be a LIER.

16 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

So I guess I’ll have to clean my birds on the steps of the capital building since I have a stock tank behind my house.

Yup. There is no provision for private property in that regards. But better than the capitol building, go do it in Thorpe's yard. 

16 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Yup. There is no provision for private property in that regards. But better than the capitol building, go do it in Thorpe's yard. 

Oh I’m sure he’s got a man made water feature in his front yard that sparrows use for drinking.

4 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

As written, it appears this would eliminate waterfowl hunting within 100 yds. of nearly every lake in the state since they are all "man-made." And if you own a house or cabin within a 100 yds. of a lake or other man-made watering "facility," you won't be able to field dress your doves, quail, etc. at home.

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/54leg/2R/bills/HB2131P.htm

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:

Section 1.  Title 17, chapter 3, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 17-308.01, to read:

17-308.01.  Unlawful activities near water holes, stockponds and other man‑made watering facilities; notice; civil penalty

A.  A person may not do any of the following within one hundred yards of a natural water hole containing water or a stockpond or other man‑made watering facility containing water:

1.  Set up a blind, lie in wait or otherwise conceal oneself for the purpose of taking wildlife.

2.  Field dress taken wildlife.

B.  A landowner or lessee of private land may post a notice or sign to notify persons of the activities prohibited by this section.

C.  The commission may impose a civil penalty of not more than $250 against any person who violates subsection A of this section.

Great point!   Any body on here belong to any waterfowl groups.   If so please share!