Red Rabbit

Where Are You Going to be Opening Morning?

Aug 1st I'll be in a blind over looking this bear's water hole.

This morning, as I was hiking the dry creek bed to my camera location, I followed fresh bear tracks almost the entire way. You know the tracks are steaming hot when you are tracking a bear over solid granite and the the tracks are just wet paw prints on the rock. He would stop at every pool along the way and have a swim.

post-331-1211837265_thumb.jpg

Then, on the opening of archery deer season, I'll be in a blind over looking the main trail to this bucks bedding area.

post-331-1211837470_thumb.jpg

Holy crap Jeff, that buck is a friggin stud to the max!

With any luck.... I will be getting yelling and screamed at by a law enforcement official!

For the slower ones (Jim, Gino, TJ, Mike...) That means I hope I will be in the BP academy!

Def going to be on a north facing slope glassing the south facing slope before the sun comes up, once the sun is up, I switch slopes, hope to beat our family record of seeing 23 bucks on an Oct hunt this year

depends on the season. deer: guttin' a deer. elk: guttin' a elk. javelina: in camp still asleep. Lark.

Hoping to be a little farther away from the truck than last year (due to back problems) glassing up something. Just being out with a tag will be good enough.

archery deer/bear- In the dark, 5 miles from any road, absorbing the cool temperatures and fearing the heat and bugs to come. Kicked back against a juniper on the edge of a canyon waiting for light to glass, so i can catch the movement of the big velvety coues rack or the contrasting hide of a bear in the manzanita.

Rifle deer- Same canyon, cold, waiting for the sun to give me light and warmth. Waiting for the 100+ rack i glassed up the last evening of archery deer (hopefully), yet hard horned now. Probably watching a fat cinnamon bear casually feed now that the season is closed and i couldnt find him earlier.

Rifle bull- Same canyon yet again. Freezing, trying to stay off the snow soaking through my cloths. Praying the bull i had glassed all year and watched though the rut is bedding in the same drainage. Fatasizing about his rack and thinking about being warm, but enjoying that there are no bugs biting and buzzing around. Waiting for light to reveal his existance.

Nice! I enjoyed those descriptions!

Amanda

I will be glassing pigs, wishing I coulda found them when I had a tag. I will be glassing coues does, watching them for 15 minutes, trting to "force" antlers to grow on their heads, before my very eyes. I will be listening to all the shooting, and will be wishing I was in the next canyon over. As I hike to the top of the mountain, I will be cussing my decision to be a hunter. As I reach the top of the mountain, and see the Arizona Desert beneath me, I will thank the Lord I am a hunter.>>Jason. P.S... Then I will make out with my Zeiss Spotting Scope, and tell Fatfootdoc all about it!!

Holy crap Jeff, that buck is a friggin stud to the max!

With any luck.... I will be getting yelling and screamed at by a law enforcement official!

For the slower ones (Jim, Gino, TJ, Mike...) That means I hope I will be in the BP academy!

REAL funny Casey! :blink: Even I got that one. :rolleyes: Don't let anyone see you crying after all the yelling & screaming. :lol: :lol: ;)

All kidding a side, good luck and I hope you make it. Best of luck!

I'll be sleeping in on opening day. No since in getting it over with to soon. Breakfast, coffee around the camp fire in the morning, a mid afternoon nap, and then enjoy the rest of the day looking thru the binos. Don't hurry a good thing. ;)

TJ

Sittling at home, on the computer, waiting for the first great stories to be posted and wishing January 1st would hurry up. :blink:

Just putting in for bonus points here, I will be on a hardwood ridge in Vermont with POPS or sitting on a bluff overlooking a swamp in Missouri with POPS. It is time to be all about him. He got me started at age 12 in Vermont so now at 34 it's time to "take" him hunting for all the years of teaching he gave me. I can say I am not looking forward to the time that I can't do it anymore so I am going to take the next couple years to make up for some lost time, GOOD LUCK to everyone Andy

I hear you Doug!

Waiting for the sun to brighten it up just a little more! Where will he be? Looking here looking there. Did you choose the right spot to sit? Did you sneak in quiet enough? Is he within sight somewhere or is he over the next ridge? That opening morning anxiety coupled with that wonderful calm of knowing your on the hunt you have anticipated for so long and there are a million worse places you could be! And then there he is! AWESOME!

I cant wait!

Thanks for getting the blood pumping Doug!

post-669-1212293116_thumb.jpg

post-669-1212293846_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite spots is a saddle that separates a south side feeding slope and a north side bedding slope. The saddle is rather wide so it is still a 300 yard poke from the middle to the edges in either direction. It is also a good place to be in the evening also. The hard part is getting there without spooking a deer.

RR