Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Time to cross UPS off the list

I have a Leupold scope that i need to send in for repair. I went to the UPS store on Higley/Pecos on Friday to ship it to them. The girl at the counter asked me what was in the box (original packaging) and i told her "optics". She asked "what kind of optics" and i said a scope. She asked if it was possible to mount it to a firearm and i said yeah. At that point she told me "we cannot ship gun parts that can be assembled into a weapon and kill people". I told her she was crazy in more or less terms and informed her that i receive ammo and gun part shipments via-ups all the time and asked to speak to the manager. The manager comes out (a +- 25 year old soy boy that looks like he spends his nights "protesting") and asks me the same questions. I opened the box and he jumped back like it was a bomb and he started getting pretty mouthy and was treating me like i was a criminal and trying to get away with something illegal. There were several other customers in the store that were getting uneasy as well because i was a big, bad gun owner trying to assemble parts into a weapon of mass destruction. At that point i told he/she/him/her/zer/zim, whatever the f@ck they considered themselves to go f@ck themselves and walked out. Unbelievable what this world is coming to. USPS came out in support of Biden and now UPS won't ship gun parts? I guess that leaves me with Fed-Ex. I'm guessing this is a franchised store that made up this rule and not a national policy but they won't be getting any more of my business. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Same this at usps when I tried to ship bullets. 10 minute argument about what live ammunition is!

Even hunters and shooters refer to live ammo as "bullets", so no telling what the general public thinks/knows.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

Even hunters and shooters refer to live ammo as "bullets", so no telling what the general public thinks/knows.

Very true. I did open the box and show them that it’s a copper/lead paper weight until the rest of the components are there. Ended up going to another location and had no issues.

I had basically the same thing happen at the UPS store down the street a couple of years ago, haven't been back. I did have a return label sent to me from Nikon 2 weeks ago, walked into a different store and no problem, shipped no questions ask.

Print this out and take it with you next time. 

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

This is a UPS STORE policy, not UPS. I believe the UPS STORE is a separate, private company. 

It shouldn't matter. Their contract with UPS means they operate under the same basic rules. Otherwise the private stores would be able to invoke all sorts of rules and prices. The problem seems more of an interpretation of the actual rule, i.e. what a scope is, by the individuals involved. 

• Like 1

Crazy crazy!! I had the same experience when trying to ship a bipod from a Mail Depot. Made the mistake of explaining what it was and that was all it took for them to not take it. Just 3 days ago had a new muzzleloader with all the accessories delivered right to the front door. 

I have shipped several scopes.  I always tell them it is a "precision optical tool" or "telescope".

I had the same issue with FedEx once in Scottsdale.  Went to my local store, and no issues.  

• Like 2