Outdoor Writer

Clean Your Drawers

I've actually had TWO incidents with moose somewhat like this one. 

About 30 years ago, I was on a deer/elk pack-in hunt back in the Grey Mts. in Wy. There were about five other hunters in camp and one of them had drawn a moose permit. So one day, I had ridden my horse out alone to hunt in a place the outfitter had told me about. I tied up my horse and headed up a small ridge. There was a game trail right on top, so I decided to sit on a stump a bit because it afforded a good view of the valley below. I was there about 15 min. when I heard a shot that came from the heavily wooded area below me. Five minutes later, I had a bull moose barreling down the trail toward my stump., and I could see blood pumping out of his side. I had my .264 across my lap but quickly raised it just in case. The moose kept coming. When it was about 10-12 yards from me, I shot it in brisket. He dropped immediately. As I was wiping my butt, the guy with the moose permit and his guide appeared to claim his prize. 

The other incident also happened many, many moons ago when I was personally hunting moose in northern BC. My Slavey indian guide and I had left the main camp and set up a spike camp on a lake about 10 miles away. We spent six days searching for moose & caribou wthout much success. Then one day, we were riding across a ridge in a light rain, and I had to take a leak. After I was done, I decided to glass across my saddle down into a big valley below us. Within a minute, I saw something white move in a big stand of alders. When it moved again, I could tell it was a moose antler. I told Jimmy, and he asked me if I could shoot it from there, which was about a 1/2 mile. I just laughed, then told him we're heading down there. So I took off my rainsuit, hitched up my socks and we were on our way. What I didn't realize was the alders were much taller and thicker than they looked from above. We began to push our way thru them, and all of a sudden, the moose busted out, running along a hill about 125 yds broadside to us. I told Jimmy to bend over. While he covered his ears, I rested on his back and got off three shots. I heard and saw them hit. After each of the first two, Jimmy confirmed them with, "You got 'em," and I said, "stay down" so I could shoot a third time.

Problem was the moose didn't seem to know I had hit him. He took off racing over the top, where we lost sight of him. It took us at least 1/2 hr. to get thru the alders and over the hill. There we could see my moose about 50 yards away. He was lying amid a lot of blown down jackpine-type trees with brush on either side and had his head fairly upright. While Jimmy, who didn't even have a gun, stood off to the side, I moved around in front until I was about 10 yards away. I planned to shoot just under his chin, but when I raised the rifle, it was still on 9X; all I could see was hair. I lowered it to adjust the scope. When I did the moose stood and started toward me.  Uphill from me, he seemed huge -- like I was looking up at his head ten feet above me. I turned to run, but tripped on one of the deadfalls. Both me and the rifle went flying. As I covered my head with my arms, I yelled to Jimmy to tell my wife I love her. Then I heard the crash. The moose had died and fallen about 10 feet behind me. When we field dressed and skinned him, we found all three of my bullets against the farside hide in an area about the size of a pie plate They had pretty much wiped out the lungs but had missed the heart. And I survived! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Geez, I forgot the other moose attack I had survived in Yellowstone NP. 

I had located a decent bull that was meandering between the road and the shoreline of Yellowstone Lake. So I parked my truck, grabbed my cameras and proceeded to get into a  good spot to take some pics. I was doing just fine; I snapped the shutter and the moose continued what he was doing. That all changed when a busload of Japanese (maybe Chinese) tourists also saw the moose and dismounted the bus in mass. Within two minutes they had the moose's attention as they closed in on it from behind. Then he started toward me; he didn't appear real happy. I couldn't get to the road so I quickly backed up to a very large downed tree that hag been propped up about 5' above the ground. I was able to duck under it to the other side just before the moose arrived, reared on his hind legs and hammered the downed tree with his front hooves. I was literally shaking in my boots. It seemed like a very long time, but it was probably only two minutes or less before he got bored with me, moved down to where the tree entered the water and walked around the tree to my side. That's when I ducked back to the other side and ran as fast as I could to the road and my truck.  I sat there and watched while the tourists loaded back on the bus as if nothing unusual had happened. 

Never hunted them, seen them but never closer that 1/4 mile. and they were big

Back in 92 Wife 1st kid and I were going to Western Washington for my sisters wedding, we went through Kaibab, utah Idaho falls  up the I-15 , about 1/2 hour  before you start going up the big hill to montana, I happened to look to the west and notice what appeared to be a horse along the fence hopping around. was probably a few min before I realize it was caught in the fence or something. Turned around and pulled up. Oh crap thats a Moose I gotta get some pics. it was kinda calm and "on the other side of the fence" Wife stayed in the truck with the 2 year old. I got with in about 30 feet of it and while it was calm at the time noticed it had a ton of fence wire around it back leg to its haunchs. and it took out about 2 fences posts. went back to the truck and all I have was a pair of cheap pliers. Wife came out and looked with the kid while I saw trying to get it loose.. about 30 mins into that she was like lets just leave and call someone at the next gas station. I told her to go to the gas station just before the mountain pass and see if they new some rancher that could bring out so tools. What seems like all freaking morning she comes back with a State patrol guy then the show started. moose was pretty calm till we tried cutting it off its body. we didnt want to free it from the fence yet cause then it would be still wired up on his legs. thing started a huge butt rucuss then I hear this OH shoot wife and the 2 year old are almost to the truck running . Seems MOMMA was just over the burm and not really happy. MOMMA was like 3 foot taller than the Calf and alot bulkier just standing there 20-40 yards away barking squaking at us. We got the wire free and the calf hauls butt to MOM and off they walk over the burm. that calf was the size of a small horse Mom was the size of a Clydesdale  the calf was probably the easiest to cut out of a fence of about a dozen or so I had to do over the years horses, deer elk and one stupid cow on crack. but it was the size and Mom standing there that was intimidating

Came around a bend in a stream back in 1974 while fishing in a borrowed birch canoe that was made in the 30's only to come face to face with Bullwinkle at thirty feet. I stuck the paddle in the mud and sat there for a good 30 seconds before he bolted away.

Had a friend up in Alaska shoot a brown bear up a drainage and it started running down the hill straight at him after the first shot.  He ended up killing it not 10 feet in front of him.  The bear didn't know where he was. It was just running the easiest route which happened to be straight at him.  My friend said he was shaking like a leaf.

• Like 1

Not moose, but my dad and i were almost run down by a group of cow elk in unit 27 one year. We were deer hunting and up on a finger. Another hunter must have spooked a group of about 12 cow elk. They came barreling up the side of the finger and were coming right for us. We started waving our arms and yelling to try and get there attention to not kill us. They slammed on the brakes and stopped about 10 feet from us, we were about 20 feet apart from each other. They freaked out being face to face with humans and half the group split and ran right between my dad and I, and the other half went to my right. I seriously thought I was going to have to shoot and elk to save myself. I had just clicked off the safety on my rifle when they jammed the brakes. It was wild. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

Had a friend up in Alaska shoot a brown bear up a drainage and it started running down the hill straight at him after the first shot.  He ended up killing it not 10 feet in front of him.  The bear didn't know where he was. It was just running the easiest route which happened to be straight at him.  My friend said he was shaking like a leaf.

I had a similar thing happen with a 4x4 buck I had wounded on the North Kaibab. My first shot as he was running up the side of canyon, hit him in a rear leg, breaking it. He then turned and went down into and toward the head of the canyon. I snapped off another shot but missed. I was on the rim on other side, so it took me a while to get down to the bottom. I immediately found his tracks, blood and even a few bits of bone. As I followed the canyon turned a bit to the left, narrowed and was now about as wide as dirt two-track.  I started around the curve and here the buck came, head down, bad leg and all, headed on the dead run right at me. I didn't even have time to raise my rifle, so I shot from the hip at his chest. He fell about five feet from me.