JHAM357

what ya dip!

After reading through this thread and realizing how many hunter are dippers I came up with a question for all you guys. Does the stuff smell at all after you spit it out? Just wonder if game could get wind of the stuff. If so imagine how many times you spit and in how many different places. If deer can smell the stuff wouldn't dippin be a disadvantage while hunting or do you guys spit in a air tight container or sorts? Just wondering?

Copenhagen Long Cut for me.

bobbo you should have left your reply the way it was. Got to make us think about it sometimes. Almost lost an uncle to the stuff and I still have not quit. Not to smart on my part. But I like to chew.

Hunter X

I have had deer come up and sniff were I have spit it out does not seem to bother them.

just threw one in right now. boy does it taste sooooo good!

what more is there to say!

post-2633-1217869589.jpg

HunterX.....I chew from the time I get up to the time I go to bed and only spit it out to eat and sleep. About your question....I have actually had many deer and javelina come in and eat the chew under my stand. It has really surprised me as to the attraction it has had on the animals. I have thought about putting an open can on the ground as an attractant but changed my mind because then I would be without myself.

To all those that do seeds. I have tried that to no avail. Seems that the seeds were eaten away at my gums and cheeks worse than the chew ever did, so I went back to chewing.

SKOAL STRAIGHT ALL DAY (Red Seal Straight when the money is tight)

Copenhagen Long Cut for me.

bobbo you should have left your reply the way it was. Got to make us think about it sometimes. Almost lost an uncle to the stuff and I still have not quit. Not to smart on my part. But I like to chew.

Hunter X

I have had deer come up and sniff were I have spit it out does not seem to bother them.

Dallas,

I didn't want to be a party pooper and in a way I thought it disrespectful to my friend. Because to his friends and family he meant so much. I didn't want to turn him into just some dude who died because he liked to chew tobacco. I will say, that you chewers need to be honest with your doctor about chewing and at the very least get a thorough screening (not the H.M.O.look see) every 6 months, just like I do on my pasty white skin.

Bob

I've been off the stuff for over 8 years now, after using it for 22 years. Don't miss it and not dissing anyone for using it.

Well I don't dip.. never have.. and in my current career never will. Take a few looks at people with SCC with half there face excised and it should deter anyone..but I know of a few dentists that still dip, just can't give it up.. My advice is take Bobbyo's advice, come in a get checked often, most dentists will do an oral cancer screening at each cleaning or checkup...sorry bout the rant, but I've seen some pretty horrific stuff.

Houston

you would think all that would be enough to make anyone not start, or quit. just like any addiction though its hrd. so i guess in the words of the late Chris Ledoux " if you don't use this nasty stuff don't start, but if you do, well i guess you gotta say something good about it".

i think thats what he says. ha

Up until this past Jan., I had'nt had a dip in over 2 years.. then with all the CRAP I was dealing with with the move to MT and back, the housing market blues, blah, blah, blah, I broke down and bought a can one COLD night up in MT. And I've been going again since then.

I've decided to start weaning myself off the stuff here in the next two weeks..I'm down to only one dip a day right now. That way when I go to Africa for 3 weeks in 2 weeks from today, I'll already be halfway to quitting and I wont take any with me over there and that'll give me the opportunity to kick the habit for good. They dont sell the stuff over there, so without any way to get some, that will be a perfect time to stop. FOR GOOD THIS TIME!!

I tell ya, the stuff is hard to quit.. Not so much because it's an "addicting drug" as the whole thing is addicting.. the habits that go along with dipping, the cravings after a good dinner, after a good morning cup of coffee, or when your sitting behind the Swaro's on the side of a hill, etc. are harder to break than the actual nicotine addiction itself. That and the damned stuff tastes SO GOOD! But I'm done. Its a usless habit that does me no benefit whatsoever. That and I dont want to go down like that.

Thanks for all the posts on this topic. It's really fueled me to kick the habit once again.

Up until this past Jan., I had'nt had a dip in over 2 years.. then with all the CRAP I was dealing with with the move to MT and back, the housing market blues, blah, blah, blah, I broke down and bought a can one COLD night up in MT. And I've been going again since then.

I've decided to start weaning myself off the stuff here in the next two weeks..I'm down to only one dip a day right now. That way when I go to Africa for 3 weeks in 2 weeks from today, I'll already be halfway to quitting and I wont take any with me over there and that'll give me the opportunity to kick the habit for good. They dont sell the stuff over there, so without any way to get some, that will be a perfect time to stop. FOR GOOD THIS TIME!!

I tell ya, the stuff is hard to quit.. Not so much because it's an "addicting drug" as the whole thing is addicting.. the habits that go along with dipping, the cravings after a good dinner, after a good morning cup of coffee, or when your sitting behind the Swaro's on the side of a hill, etc. are harder to break than the actual nicotine addiction itself. That and the damned stuff tastes SO GOOD! But I'm done. Its a usless habit that does me no benefit whatsoever. That and I dont want to go down like that.

Thanks for all the posts on this topic. It's really fueled me to kick the habit once again.

good for you! i wish i could say the same but much too ignorant. you should sign and date your last can and post the picture so we all know you quit, and to maybe encourage those debating themselves. even though i still dip man im here to support you in any way possible. best of luck.

Jesse

I prefer jerky and apple jolly ranchers! Just never got the taste for chew!

I don't know how to start...

First off chewing and smoking is bad!!!

Second, smoking does more damage to OTHERS than chewing!!!

Third, there are more health risks to your self from smoking than chewing!!!

Forth, chewing satisfies better than smoking!!

Fifth, Chewing is "So good once it hits you lips" (Movie-Old School...about beer not chewing...works the same)

Okay...I have a chew in right now! Although the women don't like it, what is an asthmatic supposed to do in a world full of nicotine addicted people!!!

As for hunting and chewing, I believe since an animal with the nose so much better than ours can smell our breath at close distance...chewing does not help the cause!!! I can not hike with one, mainly because it dries my mouth out and it’s harder to breath. But when I am still hunting or glassing I can't help but to have a chew!!! If I find a critter that I want to get closer to, then I spit it out, wash my mouth out, and the stalk is on!!

btw, I chew Cope Long Cut....I love snuff, but it is easier to get a pinch of long cut than snuff on day to day basis...or should I say hour to hour basis!!!

That’s my .02 cents!