Yuma Outdoorsman

Tipping Taxidermist

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

You’re the first person that most of us (possibly all of us) have ever heard that tips though lol. I know you’re just having a giggle. There’s no way you actually tip the taxidermist 

Just hacking on you guys, but I honestly do tip my taxidermist.  I do not ask for run of the mill standard mounts.  I try to get something a bit different. 

If they provided a cold adult beverage or a latte I would tip.  

If they want or expect a tip they should let you know when you drop your animal off. With the prices they charge it should be included. I pay a high price because they do a awesome job. If I want to take it to Trails End Taxidermy for a half a$$ to save money I would. Then if by chance he did a great job I might have tipped him. 

I rarely have this conundrum but like most answers to life’s questions, I’d say the answer is “It depends.” 

If it’s a high-end, established taxidermist doing a shoulder mount that will take 12-18 months to complete and you’re paying top dollar, I’d say probably not.  You’d “tip” that taxidermist just by being a good, patient, cash-paying client.  No need to start calling after the first month and every month thereafter to “check on the progress” then whip out a credit card and ask for a receipt when it’s time to settle up.

But if the taxidermist drives from Young and meets you in Payson so you can pick up a skull cap mount, an extra $20 for his gas would be appropriate, even if he had to go to Payson anyway.  (But even then, it would probably surprise the taxidermist.)

If it’s a young person who’s in school, on the football team and student council and cleans/bleaches skulls for a side hustle, I’d hand over more cash than required and say “I appreciate your hard work. I don’t need any change back.” 

So it depends, I guess.

• Like 8

In order to tip you have to have your bill paid off. I have a monthly payment to my taxidermist and dont see that ending anytime soon.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thank for the responses. I tipped my guy because I took the deer to him in December and he had it back to me by March and only charged $475. I felt wrong not to tip him. This was the buck. I have another buck there this year and didn't know if I should be tipping or not. Thanks for the reply. 

12.jpg

• Like 10

On 3/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, WHT_MTNMAN said:

In order to tip you have to have your bill paid off. I have a monthly payment to my taxidermist and dont see that ending anytime soon.  

That’s quite the humble brag 🤣

In life I have found that being generous never hurts. I usually do tip for quality taxidermy work. I also tip workers who come to my home. And my barber at Christmas. 

• Like 1

for a 3-month turnaround and only paying $475, i'd tip

• Like 2

Yeah great price, great buck and looks like a good mount. I would have tipped also.

53 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

That’s quite the humble brag 🤣

In life I have found that being generous never hurts. I usually do tip for quality taxidermy work. I also tip workers who come to my home. And my barber at Christmas. 

I just like mounts, most of my mounts are subpar trophys for most people but I don't care. I'll keep spending the money and enjoying the experiences. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, meatviabow said:

Mine dropped the mount on the ground before I got there. Nose was all messed up. He did not receive a tip.

Seems like something that should be fixed without you having to say something about it.  

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 7:22 AM, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

Thank for the responses. I tipped my guy because I took the deer to him in December and he had it back to me by March and only charged $475. I felt wrong not to tip him. This was the buck. I have another buck there this year and didn't know if I should be tipping or not. Thanks for the reply. 

12.jpg

Mind sharing who did your work? Looks great!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HUNTnTAT2 said:

Mind sharing who did your work? Looks great!!

The guy's name is Noel Vandiver. He is in Holtville, Ca. The name of his company is Ironwood Taxidermy. He does excellent work and the turn around is the best I've ever heard of. I took another buck to him mid December and had it back by March 17.  The attached photos are my buck from this year. 

thumbnail_Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 9.10.56 AM.png

160771563_498215214674873_763258263670616272_n(1).jpg

160727128_453421999112453_2194548530052037631_n.jpg

• Like 2