Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Trigger pull for hunting rifle

I have a 300 win mag with a timney trigger set at 20 ounces for my antelope hunt last year. I'm wanting to increase it maybe up to 2lbs. Just curious what is a good trigger pull.

I think you will get a lot of answers on this. Most of what I have read are claims 2lbs is as light as you should go for a hunting rig.

It depends on how you hunt...mine is at 1 lbs, but I don't load mine until I'm ready to shoot, if you do a lot of hiking with one in the chamber a much heavier pull would be appropriate.

Mine is set at 2.5 and I feel that it is enough for a hunting rig, yet light enough to shoot accurately

My deer rifle is at 2# also. Good enough for hunting and still safe. I usually carry hot, but have recently started packing in on an empty chamber. Safety is always on but it is hard to verify when stuffed down a rifle scabbard backpack.

My 6mm is set to 12oz and my 338 lapua is set at 8oz. They are my go to hunting rifles. Both are jewell triggers. I love having a super light trigger just for accuracy purposes only down fall is when I shoot other rifles with triggers most people consider light I feel like I'm pulling crazy hard on them. Good luck to all those hunting this weekend

• Like 1

Yep, no wrong answer, I have mine set at 1.5 Lbs, but I don't consider it a good rifle unless the trigger is below 3 pounds, under 16 oz is getting to hairy for me as far as a hunting rig

I would never carry hot! My brother had a .243 wssm with a 2lb trigger. Chambered one and set it on his lap while calling yotes, but being a safe hunter he made sure the barrel was pointed on the opposite side of his hunting buddy and while just sitting there it went off. Don't know if it was the trigger or something else happen. Have fun, shoot strait, and be safe!!! Good Luck

Looks like it comes down to personal preference. I'm going to keep it at 20oz for my sons bull hunt in 8. He said he likes it. Then after that try it at 2lbs. Thanks for everyone's input.

2# is sorta good for me. It is all preference ... really light can breed issues though

Looks like it comes down to personal preference. I'm going to keep it at 20oz for my sons bull hunt in 8. He said he likes it. Then after that try it at 2lbs. Thanks for everyone's input.

Has your son practiced with a glove on? Could be cool up there and a glove could cause an issue when the adrenaline is flowing.