1denogean

backpacking tents.... what are you guys using?

I did the Kifaru thing with a stove, great setup. My next one will probably be a hilleberg or comparable but cheaper or kifaru. Really leaning towards something with the floor, but i also realllllly like having the stove. decisions..

I just picked up the REI Magma 10 degree sleeping bag. It has really good reviews for warmth to weight ratio. 850 treated goose fill down. I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Hilleberg Suolo tent and Sea to Summit sleeping pad.....I have them both in my shopping cart on Moosejaw, just still doing research.

I have an old Kifaru 4 man tipi and stove that's gotta be close to 20 years old! My sons and I still use it on our cold weather backpack hunts.

Scott

post-13-0-77190700-1500668206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a kifaru sawtooth with a medium sized stove. I was skeptical about not having a floor but I love being able to walk In and out without worrying about tracking dirt in. Definitely pricey but I love it

Lots of nasty critters crawling around the desert. You floorless guys ever had any issues with them?

I have hunted bear in the Mazatzals several times in August we were hiking in about 8 to 11 miles depending on our destination, so we pack light due to the heat. We only take food you can eat without cooking, and no sleeping bag we just lay on a tarp (the ones with a reflective side) and fold the other half over you while wearing a mosquito head net. We have never had any issues with insects.

• Like 1

So you are rolled up in a tarp with a mosquito net on your head and there's no insect issue???

That sound like the most uncomfortable camp ever!!!

Top that with 11 miles in that range and you guys are animals.

These days I use a coachmen Catalina. It sleeps 4 comfortable and 8 if you are in to trying new things.

Little too warm for summer unless you plug it in and turn on the AC.

Only weighs about 3.8k.

• Like 3

So you are rolled up in a tarp with a mosquito net on your head and there's no insect issue???

That sound like the most uncomfortable camp ever!!!

Top that with 11 miles in that range and you guys are animals.

Never an issue with bugs just dont forget your head net (surplus store) or insect repellent the nats and or mosquito's are fierce. We did use sleeping pads forgot to mention it.

Pulled the trigger on the Hilleberg Soulo.

Nice. My favorite part of the Hilleberg system is that it is a double wall tent that you set up with the outer wall and inner wall at the same time. In a rain storm, the inner tent stays dry. Great design

• Like 1

Weekend warrior 28 ft triple axle makes for long hikes early but warm, dry, and has a shower.

• Like 2

Weekend warrior 28 ft triple axle makes for long hikes early but warm, dry, and has a shower.

HAHAHAa I was going to say the same thing. I have little desire to carry my bed and shelter when I have my trailer. lol