Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyhcp

How early is to early

Like the title says how early is to early to start scouting for my archery bull hunt I have never had a archery bull tag befor only had late rifle hunts I know this is a different ball game and I am eager to start scouting! Will the elk I find now still be there come sep? I and talking deep spoke camp style of hunting 5-10 miles in

I've already started! Weeks ago. :)

Learn where the cows are and the bulls will come to you.

• Like 3

Packing in 5-10 miles will be a great adventure. I'd recommend you prepare for packing out a heavy load very quickly. September temperatures are unforgiving with respect to table fare.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with everybody else on here. If you know the area, roads, camping spots, etc, I don't even scout till after the July 4th weekend. Wait till that big weekend to have tons of side by sides driving around, just like opening of the elk hunt. Plus if you have cameras out before, there are so many more a..holes to mess with them. Plus you are in the monsoon by then and their patterns will change with all the extra water around.

Find the cows (not the bovine ones) and the bulls will be there in September when the rut starts.

Just my opinion, and I do drive a gas guzzler, so it saves me a couple trips up north. And gives me more time to scout for archery deer.

• Like 4

That's just it I am scouting new area there are no roads that's why we have to hike in so far I think we're gonna spike in this weekend and get a look at the country snd set some cameras out. I am worried about the pack out in September if we kill because I know it will be hot

Scout the land, the water, the old elk sign... all are more important than where the elk are right now.

Scouting usually gives a false sense of preparedness. In my experience, once the rut is about to get going, everything changes. they will move miles overnight.

And be prepared to hunt closer to the road. Again, in my experience, you have to hunt the elk where they are. If you catch any videos on youtube of elk walking through a town or down a highway during the rut, its because they dont care. I would not plan on getting to the back country unless there is some grand reason. Not to say it would not be an awesome adventure, but the elk might be closer to the roads than you think.

Just saying, be prepared to adjust and throw everything out the window once the rut starts.

• Like 3

I didn't think it was possible anymore to get five miles away from a road, seems like there everywhere now.

• Like 1

2 weeks before season in"my" preferred unit - up all night every night spotlightin meadows and little clearings that usually hold cows and listening

find elk and then find the travel routes to bedding areas -setup plans to interecept - getting in very early- wait for other hunters to push them to me!

• Like 1

Never too early to scout. Don't have to be out just to scout elk but learning the unit. Knowing what is beyond the next ridge and things such as wallows that you stumble upon are priceless. Many honey holes are found just by hiking around the woods

• Like 2