mulie hunter

Best skinning knife

I'm thinking about buying a bench made Saddle mountain or Hidden canyon skinning knife. Anyone own one? Appreciate your opinions on these knives or one you consider a good skinning knife.

I do most of my skinning with a couple of custom knives with drop points similar to the Saddle Mountain. Skinning with a Havalon was just as fast/easy. I have had skinning knives with a similar blade profile to the Hidden Canyon and it felt clunky. Hope this helps.

Ive never used or handled these listed but besides the havalon witch is a great skining knife take a look at cutco. I received a set of anogramed cutco hunting knives as a gift . A clip point # 5719 and get hook #5717bk. Far and away the best skining knifes. The smooth blade clip point holds and edge forever and sharpens easy. My gut hook has the double d serrated edge. It the best they have free lifetime sharpening but Ive only sent them I. Once because I hacked an elk leg bone and chipped the serenaded blade. It didnt really affect its performance but they repaired it for free just the same.

Knives of Alaska, love them

I have the Alpfa Wolf 30 V, it will skin and de-bone an elk or deer without re-sharping it. Has a great grip that doesn't get slippery when wet, and its easy to put an edge back on it.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=6&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D2%26p%3D2

Price on the bench made is 115 and 149.

Not in a hurry to purchase, I would like to buy one before Jan archery season. My outdoor edge kodi pak is still one of my favorites. I'm looking for a solid skinning knife that holds a edge.

Thanks for the input so far.

I bought the saddle mtn skinner last year. I have not used it on game yet but I like it and it is sharp as heck. I plan to have a havalon to go with it for detail work.

Ive never used or handled these listed but besides the havalon witch is a great skining knife take a look at cutco. I received a set of anogramed cutco hunting knives as a gift . A clip point # 5719 and get hook #5717bk. Far and away the best skining knifes. The smooth blade clip point holds and edge forever and sharpens easy. My gut hook has the double d serrated edge. It the best they have free lifetime sharpening but Ive only sent them I. Once because I hacked an elk leg bone and chipped the serenaded blade. It didnt really affect its performance but they repaired it for free just the same.

Cutco stuff is top notch...have a set of kitchen knives and received a pocket knife as a gift. Love it. I’m an outdoor edge/havalon fan for skinning but I imagine the cutco knives are great.

My hunting buddy's and I were sitting around a campfire discussing knifes, I was saying in my opinion squirrel and Javelina dull a knife faster than anything. My buddy told me to get a knife made with s30v steel and the blade would hold an edge. I got a Kershaw, love how the blade holds an edge, but not crazy about the shape.

Im lazy, outdoor edge or havalon for me. If I was better at sharpening I would buy a custom knife

Same here