savagman

Kaibab Rifle Hunters

you can only hunt with copper on the Kaibab? 

4 minutes ago, AZElkhntr said:

you can only hunt with copper on the Kaibab? 

Not yet but they push it hard.

• Like 1

Majority of Arizona hunters do it voluntarily.  A higher percentage in AZ do because they are asked than hunters in CA do because they are told (it's required by law in CA).

Less lead poisoning in condors as a result.

That's something for Kaibab hunters to be proud of and several  lessons on human nature....

We have used copper on several Kaibab deer hunts.  A buck and a couple youth doe hunts.  I have also used leftover copper ammo in .270 for cow elk.  All performed very well.  Pass through shots except the elk.  I recovered that bullet just under the far hide.  Expanded beautiful and dropped her practically I'm her tracks.  

Anyways, all I have found is copper ammo, didn't draw a tag for anything. Folks that drew may want to use non toxic in the condor zone if they can.  

• Like 3

Don’t forget that game and fish will mail out voucher for loaded ammo that you pick from their list or you can pick projectiles to the caliber you reload for. This is free for one box either a box of loaded ammo or projectiles.

• Like 2

Used to be 2 boxes. Is it back to one?

• Like 1

Back to 1.

But good luck getting the stuff. Has to be in stock. 

Long time lurker.  I joined a month ago after being unexpectedly drawn for the 12AW early rifle hunt in the random this year, and I've read a lot on here.  I got my tag and lead free card today, but I'm confused.  Several places it says I can get ammo or bullets.  I'd prefer to reload, but I can't figure where there is an option for projectiles from the list in the letter.  Also, I'm from PA, so it's not like I can pop into the Flagstaff office and figure things out.

Before I email or call the number, does anyone have any insight into how to try to snag some bullets?  I know everything is in short supply, but I figure I'd try.  Also, there are a few Sportsman's Warehouses within an hour or so from me.  Is the offer only at AZ SW locations or has anyone had success using the card out of state?  

It used to give you a choice of manufacturers and ammo and bullet options. Being your out of state I would call. They should have a number of someone in charge of the voture

And help you get some. Theve helped me many times, never even had to go to the store.

Congratulations 

And welcome

• Like 3

I once talked to the guy in charge of the California Condor project at the Kaibab deer check station.  I told him how we had a hard time getting lead free 25-06 ammo for my son's hunt.  He told me if we ever draw again just get hold of him and he would get whatever we needed no matter the caliber.  We used lead ammo but bagged all the intestines and everything after gutting it and dropping them off at check station.  Sorry I didn't save the name of guy but you could probably call G&F and ask.  He might be able to help you on your reloads.  Good Luck 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 5:43 PM, 3darcher2 said:

Long time lurker.  I joined a month ago after being unexpectedly drawn for the 12AW early rifle hunt in the random this year, and I've read a lot on here.  I got my tag and lead free card today, but I'm confused.  Several places it says I can get ammo or bullets.  I'd prefer to reload, but I can't figure where there is an option for projectiles from the list in the letter.  Also, I'm from PA, so it's not like I can pop into the Flagstaff office and figure things out.

Before I email or call the number, does anyone have any insight into how to try to snag some bullets?  I know everything is in short supply, but I figure I'd try.  Also, there are a few Sportsman's Warehouses within an hour or so from me.  Is the offer only at AZ SW locations or has anyone had success using the card out of state?  

Look on the card again. I’ve always got just projectiles (Nosler) since I reload for 300 H&H - no one makes lead free. But as far as getting then in PA, I don’t know. You can use lead, the right thing to do is as described above - bag the guts and drop at check station, that will also enter you in the lottery for good stuff.

• Like 1

Just fyi, copper is not required so if you cant get ahold of any its no big deal. If you use lead and bring the gut pilebto the check station they will enter you into a drawing for some kind of guided hunt (at least i think they are still doing that).

What part of PA you from? Originally from the lancaster area myself.   

• Like 1

With both ammo and bullets in short supply, and that you reload, I would consider just buying some Hammer Hunters or Badlands Bulldozers instead of the hassle of trying to get 1 box of free bullets that may not be in stock.  Getting the HH or BD to shoot great has been real easy for me.

https://hammerbullets.com/

https://badlandsprecision.com/

• Like 1

What caliber?