Jump to content
maximus

Heffelfinger on instagram

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Is 2016 the year the started paying influencers?

Look on YouTube the first year Newberg went to AZ, then subtract a year or two. I'd say you're close....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

Look on YouTube the first year Newberg went to AZ, then subtract a year or two. I'd say you're close....

You guys are right on point with this one!   
 

once I heard Newberg was hunting in the same area I was I went and watched a couple of his utube videos and sure enough even stayed in the exact VRBO I did!   I then looked into the draw odds and non resident apps since he started promoting AZ and that’s when it sky rocketed.  Especially the exact unit he is hunting which I never heard him say the unit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you guys think Jay Scott is also a influencer? a lot of the guides that he has on are always promoting for non residents.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Is 2016 the year the started paying influencers?

I didn't check, but that's probably when they made everyone buy a license before applying for a permit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HyNoon said:

90k is a pretty big increase I think

See my other reply about why that happened. Also, now many of the licenses go unused for the same reason as the huge increase. They were bought just to apply for a big-game permit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, maximus said:

This is what Jim Heffelfinger posted on Instagram:

Tragedy has struck the Heffelfinger household as we have come up empty-handed with no deer tags this year. None. As in, you can’t go deer hunting this year at all. Maybe a year from now. I spent almost a quarter of a century as a regional game biologist trying to maximize hunting opportunity so things like this wouldn’t happen to families who just wanted to hunt together. Our application this year included my dad (88 yrs), myself, and two sons (18 & 24 yrs). We’re not looking for trophies, just some quality 3-generation time spent on a hill somewhere glassing for deer and sharing the camaraderie of a simple deer hunt. When guides and outfitters petition the Game and Fish commission for less overall opportunity so their clients have a chance to find more mature bucks, it just doesn’t resonate very well with me. I won’t be deer hunting this year with my dad and sons. When people ask the game and fish department to manage for a higher hunt success and higher buck to doe ratios and an older age class of bucks, that comes at a cost. That cost is borne by the average hunter who just wants to get out with family and friends and spend some time at camp and enjoy a deer hunt. If you live in a state with the opportunity to hunt deer every year, don’t take that for granted.

Who’s this guy and why would anyone give a shoot what he says or thinks?  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like you guys said, if this is a "tragedy" he is a pretty privileged person!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2016 is the year AZGFD started paying Newberg. I was able to have a discussion about this with Jim on his IG account. He doesn't seem to believe there is any connection between otc archery reductions and AZGFD promoting it via social media.

He wants to blame it on COVID, but the trend started before COVID so I am not sure we can play that card.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all people he should be toting that his advertising worked and increased sales - otherwise money was wasted on him and he should never be hired again.

Sounds like he is running from taking any sort of accountability into what actually happened. There is some blame there.

But in reality it's AZGFD's own fault. What did they think would happen when you send more people into OTC hunts?  It was simple math.  But they are getting license sales regardless from the extra people putting in for draw hunts so maybe they are making a little more money while reducing opportunity.  Congrats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is 36b alone.   Looks like it started pre Covid to me!

9965F3C6-28BC-46B3-8990-6A3C32261E56.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never met Jim in person but have had some conversations with him. He's smart, impressive as a biologist and I think he's a real asset and lonely bright spot within the AZGFD. That said, his instagram post is rather ironic. I believe without question social media (*cough* YouTube) is the primary catalyst for the increased demand in hunts, not just in AZ but the west in its entirety. We are not the only state losing opportunity, just look at how fast CO is lopping off their OTC elk hunts. It's unfortunate. But Jim making himself widely available on podcasts or to Randy Newberg/Gritty/whoever during their AZ YouTube hunts certainly isn't helping curb the demand. Personally, I wouldn't post a complaint about loss of opportunity if I was a contributor to such.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, high rise hunter said:

I've never met Jim in person but have had some conversations with him. He's smart, impressive as a biologist and I think he's a real asset and lonely bright spot within the AZGFD. That said, his instagram post is rather ironic. I believe without question social media (*cough* YouTube) is the primary catalyst for the increased demand in hunts, not just in AZ but the west in its entirety. We are not the only state losing opportunity, just look at how fast CO is lopping off their OTC elk hunts. It's unfortunate. But Jim making himself widely available on podcasts or to Randy Newberg/Gritty/whoever during their AZ YouTube hunts certainly isn't helping curb the demand. Personally, I wouldn't post a complaint about loss of opportunity if I was a contributor to such.

Agreed! Kind of like showing 10 strangers pics of a big buck and telling them what canyon you killed it in and then pissin and moanin the next year when you can’t find a rock to stand on to hunt the same canyon........

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Agreed! Kind of like showing 10 strangers pics of a big buck and telling them what canyon you killed it in and then pissin and moanin the next year when you can’t find a rock to stand on to hunt the same canyon........

Or 1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Heat said:

Like you guys said, if this is a "tragedy" he is a pretty privileged person!

30 years I’ve always had a tag and this year nothing. Put my wife in separate and even put 35b 2nd WT hunt 5th choice as back up. I have to admit I felt a little sorry for myself first week or so but difference between myself and these YouTube asshats is I keep my Arizona to myself and have always cringed when I saw how commercialized hunting in Arizona was getting!  Danged sad!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×