Sign in to follow this  
Jfos

Big game hunting rifle info

What big game? The 270 Win will be more than sufficient in 95% of North American hunting scenarios and is a lot cheaper and more enjoyable to shoot. The 300WM is a great hammer seldom "needed."

Depends on what type of hunting and what type of terrain you'll be hunting. How far you want to shoot? Both are great calibers but the 300 win mag will deliver more "punch" at longer distances with heavier bullets.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Depends on what type of hunting and what type of terrain you'll be hunting. How far you want to shoot? Both are great calibers but the 300 win mag will deliver more "punch" at longer distances with heavier bullets.

Yeah, I am leaning that way because of that, I want something that can deliver a good solid punch at longer distances. I’m sure the 270 is a faster bullet but the 300 is harder hitting

15 minutes ago, Jfos said:

Yeah, I am leaning that way because of that, I want something that can deliver a good solid punch at longer distances. I’m sure the 270 is a faster bullet but the 300 is harder hitting

Split the difference go with a 7mm rem mag

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with a 270. Mild recoil,and been killing big game for almost 100 years. I don't shoot very long ranges though and I don't see a grizzly hunt in my future.  That being said I us a 7mm rem mag.

As a purely killing numbers choice (velocity, energy, BC, bullet weight)...

.300WM, hands down.

Way more options for factory rifle choices, bullet weight availability for reloading, better brass choices, 30x more factory ammo options, and for hunting over 600 yards, unless you are handloading the 170 Berger in a custom fast twist barrel, there is no comparison.  For larger big game, a much better option.  

The .270 Win is perfectly capable of taking elk and moose out to reasonable distances.  With less recoil.  And for handloading, much less powder consumption.  At lower costs.  

• Like 2

If you know you wont be hunting/shooting past 400 to 450 yards a 270 with good bullets would do very well but if intend to hunt elk out to 600 + I would buy the 300 wm and make sure you get a muzzle break it will kick like a 270/308 win. with 200/215 gr. bullets.

• Like 1

Outa all the calibers of guns I have I don't have a 270 but a 300 wm I do and with a good break its usually a 1 and done no tracking on just about everything you pull the trigger on and if you load your own ammo usually better bullet selection I've got buddy's that use 270 but I like the extra energy on target

Oh caliber really isn't important.   Given the two I would choose the 270 because most can't handle a 300 win recoil and I hate brakes on guns.   In all honesty the 270 will knock down anything you care to shoot at.   If you get serious and want to shoot more guns then fine but I would get a milder recoiling gun.   I've got a few buddies that hate to shoot their 300's and don't practice because of it.   And let me tell you......they need the practice.  My guess is you will need a bunch of practice too.     

I have a caliber that is really close to the 270 and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk out to 500 yards and I've killed deer at twice that distance.   Don't get all wrapped up into the "I need a big gun macho craze".   Everything in the lower 48 will die easily with a .270 and a good shooter.  Lots of animals are still alive because a hunter missed with their 300 because they were scared of the recoil and didn't practice.   I've got a list of buddies you can talk to if you want.   They can tell you stories about how the big one got away.