couesdeerhntr

Was this the buffalo incident everone was talking about

Question for the CW team. In an attempt to retrieve my trail cameras the. Roads were not exactly safe conditions and I couldn’t get to two of them. And won’t be able to get to them until after the 1st of Jan. 

am I a criminal?

do I wait to to pull them until I tag out? 

there’s buck pics all over this spot. Tf am I gonna do? Should i just put coords on offer up?

I think next time I get drawn for archery deer on the Kaibab I'll put salt at every pond in my area.  Apparently that make the pond my own private hunting spot.  You can drive by 50% of the water holes up there and see an un occupied blind or treestand.  It seems some of you think that implies its off limits to everyone else that didn't place the salt or stand?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, runningbird said:

I think next time I get drawn for archery deer on the Kaibab I'll put salt at every pond in my area.  Apparently that make the pond my own private hunting spot.  You can drive by 50% of the water holes up there and see an un occupied blind or treestand.  It seems some of you think that implies its off limits to everyone else that didn't place the salt or stand?  

No one said that.

8 hours ago, Explorer said:

Reminds me of the time when I was young and said wow that's 4 Canadian geese sitting on the water and no trucks parked at the trailhead. Well shooting on the water is not against my ethics so me and my hunting partner snuck in and let loose. Those were some expensive decoys and they looked real. No hunters around. We ended up fishing the location and later that day a few hunters rolled in to hunt ducks. I wonder if their memory of that hunt is as hilarious as mine.

You should watch out for the deer decoys as well, free pro tip 328.

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

No one said that.

Except you.... I mean he "hauled" all the salt.  Everyone knows the deer don't hit water, it was definitely all the salt he hauled that got the deer going there.  Don't be lazy, find your own waterhole to haul salt to. 😜

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

You should watch out for the deer decoys as well, free pro tip 328.

If game and fish leaves decoys out during season and they get shot up they should read their own regulations.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Explorer said:

If game and fish leaves decoys out during season and they get shot up they should read their own regulations.

I remember back when 12a was otc, azgfd had decoys up each year.  I always thought it would be great to sneak up on it and put an arrow in it.

• Like 1

So is this hunt just a mile long gauntlet and not the dream buffalo hunt you hope for?

40 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Except you.... I mean he "hauled" all the salt.  Everyone knows the deer don't hit water, it was definitely all the salt he hauled that got the deer going there.  Don't be lazy, find your own waterhole to haul salt to. 😜

The salt lick in question is not on a water source. There is nothing else there to make a Buffalo come to that spot other than the salt. That is the case for about half of the salts there. But if you have been there, you know this.

The guys pretending that a salt block next to a public water source is the same thing are the ones building a straw man.

5 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

The salt lick in question is not on a water source. There is nothing else there to make a Buffalo come to that spot other than the salt. That is the case for about half of the salts there. But if you have been there, you know this.

The guys pretending that a salt block next to a public water source is the same thing are the ones building a straw man.

Looking like Jacoby Island is getting lonely.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Looking like Jacoby Island is getting lonely.

I could give 2 shits who puts a salt out. Your distaste for one man is making your arguments silly.

26 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I believe that much of the salt was put in strategic locations on the buffs natural routes. So yes, the Buffalo would come to that spot with or without the salt.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I could give 2 shits who puts a salt out. Your distaste for one man is making your arguments silly.

no distaste here.  I've had good buddies pay him money for buffalo hunts, buddies not pay him to join the co-op and by all accounts he is a great guy.  The fact that you can not see the 12a salt situation as a special situation, tells me that you have a bias.  Everyone that hunts that hunt or has helped on that hunt see's what Russ has created.  The fact that he has so many salts along a fairly small stretch of GC boundary does NOT entitle him and his clients to exclusive hunting rights.  It's not like he is doing something revolutionary and everyone is piggy backing off of him.  IMO putting a salt site in the middle of BFE and then walking up on hunters at your salt site is bullshit.  However, I am sure it happens.  The 2nd guy to get to such site has to leave without causing a scene.  It is just the right thing to do.  

Russ has created a situation where the Buffalo literally leave the park for a short time and hit one of his numerous sites.  To think that you are not allowed to hunt along his salt line is naive at best.  He MIGHT have 2-5 clients each hunt and maybe 2-5 willing to be part of his CO-OP.  IF he has all 10 at his sites, that still leaves 50-60 sites available to hunt.  To think those sites are off limits is absurd.  He has literally conditioned the cattle up there to hit his salts over the last 10 years.  This hunt has turned into a real SHHIIITTTT show to say the least and issues like this will continue to arise if he tells his clients to try and make other hunters leave.  Just a matter of time before one of them gets in a fist fight.  Just because Russ feels like his personal ETHICS trump someone else's, does not mean he gets to rule the 12a/ GC boundary.  

• Like 6