CouesFanatic

New Draw

I've said it before and I will say it again.  AZGFD has to be the leader in creative ways to generate funds yet never improve resident hunting and in most cases actually make hunting in AZ worse.  

I wonder what percentage of G&F budget goes to support non-game functions like the wolves, ferrets, chub fish, condors, frogs etc?  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

If I can earn an extra bonus point I'll put in.  Otherwise probably won't just like the AZ Big Game Super Raffle.  What do you think the odds will be?  1 in 2000?  1 in 10,000?

Everyone that knows about it better try for it this year before word spreads. Odds will still suck but from every year after this I'd imagine it will be much worse. I don't think it will hit 10,000 but bet it's 5,000+. In reality the elk hunt is basically a long late season hunt so its not a super prime hunt other than the amount of time you have without competition. The coues hunts will be the most popular I'd imagine. Not sure on the mule deer hunts since they're mostly desert units.

16 hours ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

If I can earn an extra bonus point I'll put in.  Otherwise probably won't just like the AZ Big Game Super Raffle.  What do you think the odds will be?  1 in 2000?  1 in 10,000?

Awesome my odds just got better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Applicants can select up to six limited-entry permit-tag hunts on one application. Multiple applications will not be accepted. "

Since there are 6 hunts I read this to mean all hunts regardless of specie are to be on one application?  I would think that each species hunt would be separate.  They could generate a lot more revenue. I have to be reading this wrong.

The application fee is applied to each selected hunt.

At the time of application, a customer shall submit the required application fee ($13 for Arizona residents, $15 for nonresidents) for each selected hunt number

1 minute ago, Tropicalmulch said:

The application fee is applied to each selected hunt.

At the time of application, a customer shall submit the required application fee ($13 for Arizona residents, $15 for nonresidents) for each selected hunt number

Thanks. I missed that. But still only one application?

1 minute ago, creed said:

Thanks. I missed that. But still only one application?

I believe just one application.  Which actually makes it easier to apply for multiple hunt numbers imo.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:04 PM, azelkhunter2 said:

All the auction tag money goes back to the department....A committee of both department personal and representatives of each critter group decide what projects get funding... I would hope that whatever monies created from this go into the ground for habitat restoration....

Under the control of the critter groups

35 minutes ago, Tropicalmulch said:

I believe just one application.  Which actually makes it easier to apply for multiple hunt numbers imo.

True, BUT do they have their system figured out well enough to handle this change?!  

idgaf.....The critter groups absolutely do NOT have 100% control over the funds. The department has a very extensive program in place that each project has to go through before it’s even considered for funding...Then all projects are rated for the benefit that they provide wildlife....At that point all the groups are given a list of qualified projects to consider for funding. As a rule only the highest rated projects are funded...And less then 10% of the projects are funded as there is never enough money to fund them all. The critter groups and the department have to agree on funding and the department has the last word on what does and doesn’t get funded. On more then one occasion I have invited you to attend the funding meeting with me and you have declined. If you truly want to see how it works in person you are more then welcome....

21 minutes ago, mc68 said:

True, BUT do they have their system figured out well enough to handle this change?!  

Paying themselves to water. 

Pure conjecture on my part, if I had to Hazard a guess the new draw will be  to offset the financial loss from severely limiting/ending otc deer. These six tags are a beta test.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, azelkhunter2 said:

idgaf.....The critter groups absolutely do NOT have 100% control over the funds. The department has a very extensive program in place that each project has to go through before it’s even considered for funding...Then all projects are rated for the benefit that they provide wildlife....At that point all the groups are given a list of qualified projects to consider for funding. As a rule only the highest rated projects are funded...And less then 10% of the projects are funded as there is never enough money to fund them all. The critter groups and the department have to agree on funding and the department has the last word on what does and doesn’t get funded. On more then one occasion I have invited you to attend the funding meeting with me and you have declined. If you truly want to see how it works in person you are more then welcome....

You and I have discussed this in the past. Not total control but you are a deciding factor.   And I am not complaining what I an remarking on is that 100% of the proceeds go back to g&f. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knothead said:

I've said it before and I will say it again.  AZGFD has to be the leader in creative ways to generate funds yet never improve resident hunting and in most cases actually make hunting in AZ worse.  

I wonder what percentage of G&F budget goes to support non-game functions like the wolves, ferrets, chub fish, condors, frogs etc?  

Very little compared to rest of the AZGFD  budget, most of those branches get contracts and other agencies and businesses to pay for their programs. APS, Bureau of Reclamation ect.

I like that they’re using a few animals (statistically insignificant) to raise a ton of money.  Makes sense in my book.  Utah has done incredible things for their deer and elk herds with the money they’ve raised doing similar things.  If they want to keep it available to the common man they’re on the right track by keeping it a raffle.   If you can get one animal to raise $30-50k you can create a whole lot more opportunity at other animals with that money.  Win win for all involved.