Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

7 day backcountry elk hunt

I'm going to try something new this year that I've never done before. I drew an early archery 27 tag And I'm wanting to to bomb off into the wilderness and do a backpack style hunt. I'm not New to elk hunting but I am new to backpack style huntin. I plan on doing a few 2 the 3 day trips beforehand  Just to get the feel of it.  I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has done this type of hunting before and info on what gear I need to look into. One piece of equipment I'd like to get right away so I can start using it is a largeI Backpacking pack.Something at least 6000 cu in.  Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

I've only done it once or twice but the biggest things I've learned:

Pack more water than you think youll need. And same for food. Nothing worse than being hungry and thirsty because you didn't plan/bring enough.

• Like 3

A water source is key. During your scouting trips find a spring or drainage that always holds water and camp near it. As for packs….you can’t go wrong with the big three. Kifaru, stone glacier, or Exo seem to be the best in this dept. Good luck on your adventure and keep this thread alive as the hunt gets closer!

• Like 2

If you have to dry camp for your hunt, carry in and cache as much water as you can on your scouts even if you have to cache it partway in. Just think of it as leg day in the pines.

Have a plan for getting an elk out. There's some good packers in the area that can do it for a few hundred bucks provided fuel isn't over $20 a gallon then.

• Like 8

Just have a plan for what to do when you kill one.  It’s easy to get 6-8 miles back with just your gear.  Getting 250# of meat out of there is the tough part.  I would plan on stock animals or not do it at all.  Later fall coues deer hunts are made for bivy hunting.  September elk hunts, especially off the rim are not.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Just have a plan for what to do when you kill one.  It’s easy to get 6-8 miles back with just your gear.  Getting 250# of meat out of there is the tough part.  I would plan on stock animals or not do it at all.  Later fall coues deer hunts are made for bivy hunting.  September elk hunts, especially off the rim are not.  

I'm going to try and get in touch with an outfit with mules or horses for the pack out.  

As far as pack goes I've had a few decent packs but nothing with the space I'll need for this hunt.  I've had an outdoorsman,  eberlestock, and exo mountain k2. I'm going to try on a stone glacier sky talus 6900 here at lunch.  I don't mind spending the coin to have quality gear and make this hunt as comfortable as possible. Definitely will be looking for a year round water source on my shorter trips. I appreciate all the info and feedback.  Keep it coming. 

32 minutes ago, olmos1010 said:

I'm going to try and get in touch with an outfit with mules or horses for the pack out.  

Contact MulePackHunter, he had a guy lined up to pack meat out by mule, cheap.

• Like 1

if you go on top you shouldn't have any problems with water, i have a Mistery ranch metcalf and always been great on my backpack hunts, Spotx to text if i need anything.

• Like 1

I can get 5 nights in my Exo K3 4800 but you could go up to the 6400 for not much more weight and $$$. Definitely invest in good, ultralight gear such as shelter, quilt and pad.  That gear isn’t cheap but just bite the bullet and use it for the next decade. 

My Exo pack is my favorite piece of gear I own. Love it. 

• Like 1

Get a garmin in reach. Never know when the worse could happen. Maybe even an extra insurance rider should someone need taken out by chopper.

• Like 4