Code3

Taxidermist: Friend or Foe?

This is exactly why I pay my tannery a "rush" fee.  I get all my hides back in 6-8 weeks.  It costs me 40% more, but allows me to have the hide back in my hands a LOT faster.  Once I have the hide I usually contact the customer and finalize the form position and get parts ordered.  This drastically speeds up the mounting process.

When I started doing Taxidermy work, I decided quality of work and 100% honesty to the customer was going to be my standard.  The honesty part has cost me jobs, but my conscience is always clear!

• Like 6

If a taxidermist can’t maintain a 1 year turnaround on their mounts they are either taking in too much work and need to turn some away or are just bad at running a business. A year is not too much to ask and i don’t think i’ve ever heard a single person complain about getting their animal back in a year. Plenty of great taxidermists in AZ that always get their work done in less than a year. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

If a taxidermist can’t maintain a 1 year turnaround on their mounts they are either taking in too much work and need to turn some away or are just bad at running a business. A year is not too much to ask and i don’t think i’ve ever heard a single person complain about getting their animal back in a year. Plenty of great taxidermists in AZ that always get their work done in less than a year. 

I like the guys that are running 2 + years but post on social media most day about all the fun going out things they are doing. 

• Like 2

The only problem I see in your story is him telling you it was at the ruggers, when it was not.

Covid shutdowns and supply chain issues have hit taxidermists hard.  Tannery turnaround times got longer, form suppliers have nothing in stock and it takes forever to get the order filled, 2-part foam was nearly impossible to get for a while, the cost of foam, glue, eyes etc. has doubled or tripled.  

Before you guys come for me.  No, I am not a taxidermist.  However, I am related to one. 

A good taxidermist, knows his lane.  Birds and fish are a whole different ballgame.  Lots, contract out or refuse them. 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 11:18 AM, Jesushunt said:

Better then my 2012 experience with a desert hills Taxyderm I want a full hide from a deer and all got back was a square hide with 1/4 of the hair missing and a bad smell that take 2 years to get it so that was $300 for my lesson to never take anything else to this guy 

I took my son 10 and daughter 11 on a Kaibab Doe hunt in 2000. Both kids shot a doe using my Remington 788 in 22-250 a day apart. I skinned both deer and since I was working in Tucson I dropped them off at the taxidermist down there and paid for them. I was told 3-4 months. So about that time later I dropped in to ask about the hides. They told me they didn't know where they were or if they even sent them out. They were pissed that I wanted my money back.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

Also, if they are over a year wait, in normal times, it means they are behind. Because of the hunting cycle, if they only took in what they could complete in the annual cycle, things would never get much past a year theoretically, if it gets past a year, that means they haven't finished all the Elk for instance from the prior year, and are taking on more elk now, and it can cascade very fast from a 12 months wait to a 3 year wait. I can appreciate a taxidermist that only take repeat customers work and have high prices because they are managing their work flow to keep times down and customer service high with what they know they can handle.

• Like 1

To bring my closure on this thread…

I can’t be happier with the service, turn around, communication, and final presentation. Here are two rugs done by Andrea’s Custom Rugs. 

0CB17FB5-86B0-469E-92A1-C3FED6BD01B8.jpeg

9674F07D-C6A4-4BD4-AEC9-1628242AFEB8.jpeg

F3B276C7-A51B-418E-A4AB-8F30090B46C8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Call Andrea for current pricing. I posted her contact info. She ACTUALLY answers the phone, returns text, and exceeds expectations. That alone is worth her fair price. IMO… if your hunt and take was memorable enough that you want taxidermy, can you really put a price on the prize? 🐗

I just received back my 2022 Merriam Spring Turkey. 10months turn around. Taxidermist Sven Eberson, Wildlife Wings & Designs. No hassle, fair pricing, no excuses, respectful, and honestly friendly. I’m sure it will look even better once mounted in the vaulted ceiling under day light! 🦃

1E085196-5C94-41A0-A056-36D2F4385C54.jpeg

C3427AD9-F46F-46B0-B5BB-CA1F80803012.png

4DA2298B-3A2C-4A41-96A5-E0E82A0CB39C.png

ED3C72CD-963F-429D-8D9B-8333F1694A81.jpeg

• Like 4