sjvcon

Sight in Rests

What is everyone using for.precision sight in?

I use a SEB rest for the front and a heavy Edgewood rear bag for load work and initial sight in. I also deploy wind flags and a wind meter for all my load work and sight in work! Gotta love those guys that say "there's no wind at my range". How would you know without a wind flag?? Same guys that make that lucky shot at 500 yards without ever checking the wind. My final sight in is with what I will be using in the field. That's either a backpack or a bipod. There's always a lot of tweaking to be done! If you want to carry your lead sled with you out to field, yeah OK! I know a guy that deer hunts off a portable bench! No kidding!! Now that there's some funny stuff, I don't care who you are!! 

There is one best answer. Sight in the way you will hunt. Zeros can be affected by the position you shoot in, and for long range shooting it can make a difference. And, it identifies how far you can reliably shoot and keep the bullet on the target. Lead sleds and the like are the worst for your scope and setting a reliable zero for field use.

For load development, sighting in a new scope, practice for isolating elements of the shot procedure, I will use a bipod and rear bag off a bench or prone.

• Like 2

That doesn’t sound like the best way to me. Why would you want to start off your hunt with your gun not as perfectly zeroed as possible. The only way to accomplish that is a solid rest. 

i always see dudes at the range shooting without a good rest, like bipod only no rear rest. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

That doesn’t sound like the best way to me. Why would you want to start off your hunt with your gun not as perfectly zeroed as possible. The only way to accomplish that is a solid rest. 

i always see dudes at the range shooting without a good rest, like bipod only no rear rest. 

Don't you want your rifle to be shooting right where you point it during the hunt?

There are a bunch of reasons why shooting in the field will put the bullet in a different place than a rest on a bench. I can depend on how to how the rifle is held, what it is resting on, and the shooter's position. All the PRS and NRL type shooting has shown the differences in impact points based on what the rifle is resting and how the shooter is holding it. 

Sight In

• using a solid and proper rest, front and rear.

Practice

• shooting in field positions.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, loboscout said:

Don't you want your rifle to be shooting right where you point it during the hunt?

Yes, the way to do that is starting off zeroing it in from a rock solid rest. 

what chef said 

I like my big bulls bag up front for sighting in but it is leaking and tape has only gone so far and new skins are $100. Seems crazy.  Anyone use the caldwell version or a line of less expensive skins?

This one 

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi_xYTtre36AhUb_-MHHWEMCLQYABADGgJ5bQ&sig=AOD64_3TKsRaP41ZPy-9YfsOXqqRJKxl8g&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwjJ7_Psre36AhXl8VMKHQm6AeAQvhd6BAgBEEg

1 hour ago, jdown said:

I like my big bulls bag up front for sighting in but it is leaking and tape has only gone so far and new skins are $100. Seems crazy.  Anyone use the caldwell version or a line of less expensive skins?

This one 

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi_xYTtre36AhUb_-MHHWEMCLQYABADGgJ5bQ&sig=AOD64_3TKsRaP41ZPy-9YfsOXqqRJKxl8g&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwjJ7_Psre36AhXl8VMKHQm6AeAQvhd6BAgBEEg

I have a Cabela's rear bag that had a leak. JB weld did the trick.