Sign in to follow this  
huntin1005

Doubled down

Had an awesome hunt for whitetail this year and got to double down on a couple of Lions with my son. Not everyday you get to do that. There were actually 3 lions total in the area. 

87A9441E-DA17-4E71-ACCF-D66B65A6ADB4.jpeg

2EEE5E9E-F83E-4DDA-9579-66FC39306EC0.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Wow! 4

Man, what memories!

Talk about having everything fall into place and scoring a father/son double on a pair of lions!

Congrats!  (love the first photo)

We had a doe and fawn blow out below us about 150 yards and the doe kept blowing for at least ten minutes. She kept looking back in our direction but we knew that they didn’t wind us ( wind blowing pretty good in our face). I told my son to get his rifle ready and I would skirt the hill to see what was below us. He said he heard something growling. I proceeded to walk over to the saddle to glass back to where he was sitting and he was getting prone. Next thing I see is him shooting down from where we were glassing. He shoots throws his hands up in excitement and is frantically waving for me to get back over there. I run back and he said he just smoked a lion and there were 2 more with it. I get set up on his rifle and the second cat was sitting under a juniper above his cat. I take the shot and my cat bails off into the cut. Then a 3rd lion pops out and proceeds to sniff around my sons lion then ended up disappearing into the cut mine went into. It killed around for about 15 minutes. My oldest son was supposed to be with us but wouldn’t call out sick from work. Needless to say he was bummed. We could have had a Trifecta. 

• Like 6
  • Wow! 2

Wowza that’s cool! Congrats and let us know the ages when you find out. Both female? This reminds me of when I got mine. 4 were together and I was by myself. Only 180 yards too. 

• Like 2

1 male 1 female Game and fish rough guess 2-3 years old. Will get the official ages sometime next year. 

• Like 1

thats wild. ive read a lot of stories over the years, and im sure its happened but i dont remember ever reading about people shooting 2 lions together like that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

thats wild. ive read a lot of stories over the years, and im sure its happened but i dont remember ever reading about people shooting 2 lions together like that. 

I did that when I got mine.

• Wow! 1

Ages will be very young, probably <18 months.  They don't tend to stick together with their mother very long after that.  A mother with juveniles is pretty much the only scenario where you will get 3 hanging around together.

I agree with AZBig 10.  Young lions will be very good eating.  Old toms will get pretty tough and are not even close to as good.