muledeerarea33?

Just bought a Traeger and really?

32 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Doing my first brisket on the Traeger finally tomorrow night. 16lbs. Planning 14 hours at 180-225.

For me I like cooking brisket to 203 for the Flat and 205 for the point. Lately I have been separating the two muscles before smoking so I get more bark and so both get cooked to perfection. When cooking unseparated all together and I am smoking for the perfect point the flat is overdone slightly dry and falls apart. If I cook for the perfect flat the point gets under cooked and is not as tender as I would like. Separating them before takes a bit of time but you just follow the fat line between the muscles. Your finished product will turn out better and the meat will be easer to slice correctly. Brisket is my favorite meat to smoke. Good luck.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Doing my first brisket on the Traeger finally tomorrow night. 16lbs. Planning 14 hours at 180-225.

U gonna be doing alot longer than that i feel.  Keep us updated. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

TJ just bought a traeger and a new house. He's planning on cooking on his tomorrow for the first time. Any tips for him?

7 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

TJ just bought a traeger and a new house. He's planning on cooking on his tomorrow for the first time. Any tips for him?

What are you cooking?

For me if it is a long cook item i like to wrap it after a couple hours to help keep it moist and cook a little faster. Then near the end you unwrap it and let it bark up some more. 

I like smoke, but you can over so it IMO especially if you use a more potent wood. 

13 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

dang! Little boy is a home owner now? Good for him! I’ll have to give him the wheel barrow so he learns how to actually bbq. I’ll call you in the next few days, it’s been awhile bud.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adicted said:

U gonna be doing alot longer than that i feel.  Keep us updated. 

I’m thinking I will. Starting at 6-7 Friday night, brother in laws birthday lunch is at 1:30 on Saturday so I hope I’ll have time to adjust for mistakes. On a mesquite smoker with real wood 14 hours was about my max. Still tuning my yuppie skills with pellets haha!

5 hours ago, Little Creek Calls said:

For me I like cooking brisket to 203 for the Flat and 205 for the point. Lately I have been separating the two muscles before smoking so I get more bark and so both get cooked to perfection. When cooking unseparated all together and I am smoking for the perfect point the flat is overdone slightly dry and falls apart. If I cook for the perfect flat the point gets under cooked and is not as tender as I would like. Separating them before takes a bit of time but you just follow the fat line between the muscles. Your finished product will turn out better and the meat will be easer to slice correctly. Brisket is my favorite meat to smoke. Good luck.

I’m going to try that for sure! Might wait til my second brisket though. Thank you for the tip.

I just did a 14 lb( biggest Fry’s had) last Friday on my Traeger…..I put it on at 7:30 pm , I smoked it for 12 hours, then wrapped it in butcher paper set  on 225 for 3, then turned up to. 250 for one. Pulled at 203 and let rest for 30 prior to carving …turned  out great.  Was done at noon. The long smoking shortens the cooking time as the temp got to about 140-143.  I like a heavy smoke taste, and you get a deep bark with the 12 hour smoke. You really can’t screw up a brisket unless you forget about it totally. Had several friends not realize how long they take to cook correctly though anf pull them off before done, and they are a tough mudder when cooked improperly .

12 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’m thinking I will. Starting at 6-7 Friday night, brother in laws birthday lunch is at 1:30 on Saturday so I hope I’ll have time to adjust for mistakes. On a mesquite smoker with real wood 14 hours was about my max. Still tuning my yuppie skills with pellets haha!

• Like 1

If you have never done it try injecting it with beef broth or some other concoction.  Best brisket ever!  

10 hours ago, twistzz said:

If you have never done it try injecting it with beef broth or some other concoction.  Best brisket ever!  

Smoked tallow from the last brisket, with a little seasoning in it.